Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good cam for a 327

Everybody tells me to get a good fuelie cam but im not really sure what it is. Could anybody help?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The original AKA: fueli cam was a Duntov 30/30 cam (097 Duntov P/N 3736097 )
Speed pro CS-113R
It is a solid lift cam.
the 30/30 nickname comes from the valve lash setting.

A lot use a hydraulic cam.

Lunati has a Hydraulic version of this cam.
Part # 20105

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1839&gid=255

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
We run a Comp Extreme Energy 268 solid lifter cam in my Son's 331 and it pulls nice from an 800rpm idle to 6500 with ported 462 heads and 10-1 compression. I bet Lunati's comparable voodoo cam would also work well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok of course by the title i puched out the block .30 over with new crank rods and kb flat top pistons. Now im open for any ideas here with the cam intake and everything else. I have a set of heads with 58 cc chambers with 2.02 i would think would work decent. I have two intakes a victor jr. and the old school weind xcelerator and am not sure which one to use. Everyone says use a fuelie cam but with cams im not so sure about. Please give me some ideas on how to get the most power out of this thing please

·
Registered
234 Posts
The intake and cam choice really need to depend somewhat on the rest of your setup. If you have a manual transmission or a high stall converter, then you can feel free to go a bit more toward the radical side with the cam, in order to make more power. It's not going to idle nicely, and it's not going to drive nicely in traffic or get good gas mileage if you go that way. The Vic Jr. has consistently proven to be a better intake than almost any other intake on the market for years, if you're just measuring raw power. The Weiand Xcelerator compares more directly to the original Edelbrock Torker. Between the two, go with the Vic Jr, if hood clearance is not a problem. A "fuelie" cam would be a "30-30" cam, or a "Duntov" cam or some combination of terms thereof. It's a solid lift cam which made 375 HP in the old 327 Fuelie Corvettes. It got the "30-30" name from its hot lash settings - .030" lash on both the intake and exhaust sides. It's a great cam for what it is, but solid lifters means frequent valve adjustments, which is frankly just a pain in the butt.

It really just boils down to what you're REALLY going to use your car for. Decide that and let us know, and then better tuning advice can be given.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
7500 +

is this a street car or what ,, best way to get the most out of a 327 is to wind it IMO. They can stand alot if your clearences in the engine are good. They give up some torque compared to a 355 or bigger , but they're still can be a fun engine to listen to when it winds past 7500 . The big motors are gonna beat you up on the street with similar gearing ,, but you can pull some tall gears at the track they'd run and hide from

·
Registered
508 Posts
i biult a 331 for my wifes car. im running a set of 492 angle plug fuelies on the motor with a team G intake (simular to the vic. jr) a comp hyd. flat tappet cam good to 7000. the motor sounds great with a bumpy ildle and drives sweet down the road. it is backed by a th 350 trans and a 3500 stall, with a 4.56 gear out back and a 26" tire. the little car scoots along real good and loves to buzz to 7000. i opted for the hyd. cam because of the maintnace issue. plus its alot more forgiving on the valve train when going down the high way for a long period of time. the cam is a extrme energy i believe. .519 in and .523 ex lift and has 244, 246 @ .50. great combo IMO. oh yah and i have a 650 HP style carb on it also, just in case you were wondering.

·
Registered
508 Posts
im runing a comp hyd. extreme energy in a 331 for my wife. .519 .523 lift not sure of the part # but it works great and sounds awsome.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
street

Im building it for the street powered by a close ratio mucnie with the stock 3.36 gears in back for now. Id like to make it a real street machine and from what i hear from EVERYONE is that solid cams are a real big pain on the street so im goin to stick with a hyd. I hear voodoo has some awsome torquie cams is this true?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The engine I built for the Durango Deuce 331 had a custom solid roller 228 @ .050 and .525" lift ICL LSA 110. Custom smith brothers pushrods, Victor Jr. 2 barrel intake. 10.4:1 CR; Heads were ported Sportsman II; Jesel shaft rockers with 1.5 ratio (could have gone 1.6 on intake but I was staying conservative). Engine won the grueling 1800 mile Mexican La Carrera race in 2002.

Mike Goble chassis dynoed it with a 4 barrel later and it calculated out to about 460 flywheel hp.

If I wasn't constricted by Vintage rules, you could build one that makes 500 hp, though the rpm power band would be less street friendly than a 500 hp 383 and torque would be less also.

I'd say figure out what you realistic usage will be and build it accordingly. Race car power bands get tiresome in a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
58cc heads? What heads are they? Please dont tell me they are 305 heads.

A solid cam is no big deal if you have a stud girdle. Adjust them once a year and you are golden.

Also I sure hope you read the KB manual and followed it exactly on the ring gaps or your asking for trouble!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes

yep read the manual and all that and they are 58 cc with 2.02 1.6 valves and ported out to 195 intake runners their my special brand. Its awsome its a little tight but did all the polishing and very little valve shroud so their and awsome set

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
i biult a 331 for my wifes car. im running a set of 492 angle plug fuelies on the motor with a team G intake (simular to the vic. jr) a comp hyd. flat tappet cam good to 7000. the motor sounds great with a bumpy ildle and drives sweet down the road. it is backed by a th 350 trans and a 3500 stall, with a 4.56 gear out back and a 26" tire. the little car scoots along real good and loves to buzz to 7000. i opted for the hyd. cam because of the maintnace issue. plus its alot more forgiving on the valve train when going down the high way for a long period of time. the cam is a extrme energy i believe. .519 in and .523 ex lift and has 244, 246 @ .50. great combo IMO. oh yah and i have a 650 HP style carb on it also, just in case you were wondering.
I bet that 327 sounds nasty ! i like it !

·
Registered
508 Posts
How do i find this camgrinder guy? And is he pricey
ill try and get ahold of him for you and tell him to jump on here when he gets a chance. hes about the same if not alittle cheaper than all the rest but is a local guy and is great to deal with. he has ground alot of the nor-cal guys cams around here.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I would sell both those intakes and pick up an RPM air gap. With a close ratio 4 speed and 3.36's your going to need more torque. I have a 280 degree lobe thats 238 @ .050" with .500" lift. Put it on a 110 lobe separation angle and it will sound good and be driveable.
This is the normal info I need to spec out a cam,
http://www.drcamshafts.com/sinfo.htm

The 331 in the 71 Nova,
350 block with 482 caps + .030"
L2211AF pistons with the domes milled .125" (11.6-1 comp)
5.7 Carillo SJ rods
Small journal 327 crank with spacer bearings
TFS 195 runner heads with some porting.
intake flowed 285 @ .600" with a 2.02"
exhaust flowed 210 @ .600" 1.60"
Camshaft, solid roller 260/268 @ .050" .670"/.630" lift 110 LSA +4 adv
Hooker 1 5/8" headers and dynomax 2-1/2" exhaust.
Rpm air gap intake with a Holley 850 annular carb (11.72 @ 115.5 and 1.62 60 foot)
Ran the super victor with the same holley carb, 11.70 @ 116.7 with a 1.72 60 foot time. The stall speed was too tight for the SV intake. The car was dead until 4000 rpm. With a 225 shot it ran 10.36 @ 132.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts