Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try as I might, I can not find a spec for installed height for stock valve springs on a 1965 327. I am using Melling VS-170 springs and they don't come with any spec papers in the box. The only thing I can find is [email protected]" in the Melling book, but is 1.696" necessarily the installed height or is that just the height they measure the seat pressure at?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Try as I might, I can not find a spec for installed height for stock valve springs on a 1965 327. I am using Melling VS-170 springs and they don't come with any spec papers in the box. The only thing I can find is [email protected]" in the Melling book, but is (#1) 1.696" necessarily the installed height or (#2) is that just the height they measure the seat pressure at?
#1. Nope
#2. Yup

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Try as I might, I can not find a spec for installed height for stock valve springs on a 1965 327. I am using Melling VS-170 springs and they don't come with any spec papers in the box. The only thing I can find is [email protected]" in the Melling book, but is 1.696" necessarily the installed height or is that just the height they measure the seat pressure at?
the general excepted height is 1.7" or .004" more than you listed!

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hi Carl,

As Veno said, the general installed height with a stock early spring is 1.7.

Believe it or not, I used to used that comparable spring, installed at around that pressure in NHRA stock eliminator cars, and they would see about 6500 +, for several passes.

In some 302s I have seen that spring go about 8800 (for about 6-10 passes).

You can use a lot better spring now and there is no rule on pressure (that I know of).

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much guys.

This is a basically stock engine except for an L79 cam. It won't see any crazy rpm. I just wanted to make sure I had it close to proper specs.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If I could add to this question, I was thinking more about this. Are you guys saying as long as I am close to 1.70" that is good enough? Right now they range from 1.655" to 1.700". Am I being too precise?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I would look more at the spring pressure at your installed height. If is a mild cammed street motor that may see 6000 rpm once in a while you need 80 pounds with the valve closed(spring seat pressure). Dont forget to check the distance from the bottom of the retainer to the top of the guide (without the spring) put the valve in the head retainer and keepers together and pull the valve closed. One more thing if you dont know this already I have seen a lot of guys make this mistake compress the spring with the retainer first then put the o ring on the valve in the lower groove so it sandwiches between the retainer and the keys.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
If I could add to this question, I was thinking more about this. Are you guys saying as long as I am close to 1.70" that is good enough? Right now they range from 1.655" to 1.700". Am I being too precise?
That'll be fine. :yes:

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Carl,

Personally I wouldnt want to go any tighter than 1.700".

The 1.655 kinda surprises me a bit. Most stock heads are 1.700" or larger from the factory.

By chance have larger valves been installed in the heads? If so that might explain the tighter height dimensions. If that is the case I would not only worry about the closer spring height and related issues (like coil bind) but valve to piston clearance may be of concern?

Good Luck

Jeff

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

You will have to click twice.

SPEC FOR A 1965 327

iNSTALL HIGH IS 1.66

The melling spring you have does have a 1.70 spec. (IE: VS-170- Valve Spring 1.70)

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Hi Al,

Do yo think the installed height on a 1967 327 valve spring is actually 1.156"?

Or am I reading that wrong?

Jeff
I see it now, under 1967

I am not real sure about that one. :confused:

Who knows?:rolleyes::confused:

I bet they all have been updated to the vs170 spring and spec.

AL

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Digging up an old thread....

I had planned to assemble this engine in the spring but a number of issues (4 week flood, GM terminated the contract at our dealership, etc etc) arose and it didn't happen.

Now I hope to get back to it.

Re: these heads, no, the valves are still the stock sizes.

And yes, it is a basically stock 327 with an L79 cam, 69 Z28 intake and a Holley. It really will likely only ever see 6000 RPM max.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
You'll find the problem with setting the installed height is the size of shims. They .015", .030" and .060". If your valves are ground unevenly or in varying depths then it may be difficult to get them exactly to specs.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was reading all the measurements last night and calculating. I have exactly those shims and you are exactly right.

Am I better to go a bit tighter or a bit looser when I have to make that decision.

Any min/max figures I should be using?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Define "a bit".
If you go looser the spring has less pressure and the engine won't seal as well. The springs will lose tension over time so I would go slightly tighter. Running 90-100 pounds of pressure won't hurt. The danger of going too tight is running into coil bind. Too bad you are so far away. This kind of valve fitting is right up my alley.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will try to post up the specs tonight and you can give me an opinion on which way to go on some of them if you don't mind then Paul.

I have all the measurements, just have to decide which shims.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts