Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after fighting this overheating problem for three months I think I have it figured out. I have a rebuilt 327/300 hp in a 66 hardtop with air conditioning,powerglide.original front suspention.New HD radiator from chevy 2 only.High flow water pump.160 thermostat.duel 11 inch elec. fan. from spal.Car still gets hot (220)on 95 degree days with air on.I removed the hood and drove the car with air on and the temp.stays at 175-180. So I think I need to vent the hot air out of the engine compartment.I am thinking about a cowl induction hood ,but I don't know much about how they work.Anyone have any other ideas on venting the engine compartment.

·
Registered
550 Posts
me n the wifes uncle are takin the extra hood from the hatchback n makin a scoop similar to a ss camaro but with the back to the windshield like cowl induction. i say make somethind diff maybe a l88 for urs

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
might try opening the rear of the inner fenders. if it's a stock clip they could be patched back in if necessary. a lot of guys have to 86 that section due to fenderwell headers...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
might try opening the rear of the inner fenders. if it's a stock clip they could be patched back in if necessary. a lot of guys have to 86 that section due to fenderwell headers...
I really hate to cut on this car,But if I do cut the inner fender out,then I will be letting in more dirt,dust,rocks,rain.I drive car daily in the summer.Have you had any experience with cowl induction hood? Are they functional or just for looks?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
after fighting this overheating problem for three months I think I have it figured out. I have a rebuilt 327/300 hp in a 66 hardtop with air conditioning,powerglide.original front suspention.New HD radiator from chevy 2 only.High flow water pump.160 thermostat.duel 11 inch elec. fan. from spal.Car still gets hot (220)on 95 degree days with air on.I removed the hood and drove the car with air on and the temp.stays at 175-180. So I think I need to vent the hot air out of the engine compartment.I am thinking about a cowl induction hood ,but I don't know much about how they work.Anyone have any other ideas on venting the engine compartment.
How much air do those 11" fans move? With all of what you have it's amazing it still runs hot. Just think, back in 66 they didn't have electric fans and high flow water pumps but they still had air conditioning. I assume it gets that hot sitting still and not driving down the road. My dad has a 30 Model A Ford Sedan street rod he built with a 350 Chevy, headers, air conditioning, electric fan, etc. The car does have a hood and side panels although they are vented but there is very little engine compartment space. At first he had trouble with it running hot. He tried a couple of different fans, finally bought one that moved a ton of air and it helped but that still didn't do the trick. He finally went to a high flow water pump which solved the problem. No more running hot. Some of those fans move more air than others.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I really hate to cut on this car,But if I do cut the inner fender out,then I will be letting in more dirt,dust,rocks,rain.I drive car daily in the summer.Have you had any experience with cowl induction hood? Are they functional or just for looks?
All of those hoods I've ever seen are just for looks. They're not a functional hood like the original ones back in the day.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
!!! quick Johnny, it's a commercial... you have time to type another possibility before the show comes back on !!!

what style A/C are you running ?

a good friend of mine has A/C on his '67. when on the freeway he used to run hot. found it was the thermostatic control in the A/C box.

A/C off, 180° +/-... A/C on, 220° +/-. after he fixed it, i believe it runs now with A/C on at 195°

i'm not exactly what it was... i'm going to PM him this link so he can present what he dealt with... maybe it'll help.

he's in Vegas vacationing, be back Monday ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much air do those 11" fans move? With all of what you have it's amazing it still runs hot. Just think, back in 66 they didn't have electric fans and high flow water pumps but they still had air conditioning. I assume it gets that hot sitting still and not driving down the road. My dad has a 30 Model A Ford Sedan street rod he built with a 350 Chevy, headers, air conditioning, electric fan, etc. The car does have a hood and side panels although they are vented but there is very little engine compartment space. At first he had trouble with it running hot. He tried a couple of different fans, finally bought one that moved a ton of air and it helped but that still didn't do the trick. He finally went to a high flow water pump which solved the problem. No more running hot. Some of those fans move more air than others.
I am not sure on the CFM on the fans,but the temp. creeps up while on the road.after driving Ican let the car idle and open the hoode and the temp goes down to195.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
what about when the A/C is off on that 95° day ?

does it still run 180° or so ?

if it does then i'm thinking the A/C issue my friend had might be what you're dealing with...

depends on the answers to above questions...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what about when the A/C is off on that 95° day ?

does it still run 180° or so ?

if it does then i'm thinking the A/C issue my friend had might be what you're dealing with...

depends on the answers to above questions...
Car has a/c from vintage air and on ahot day with a/c off runs 180-190.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
sounds like the same symptoms. :yes:

i already PM'd this thread to Dave. when he gets home on Monday he can tell ya what he found/did.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
The problem I had was the t-stat that came with the vintage air to cycle the compressor was stuck closed this cause my car to run real hot and my evap to freeze with in a hour or so... I unstuck the t-stat and now that the compressor cycles like it should I haven't ran hot or froze up the evap...

Note I haven't had the car out in super hot heat since the fix yet....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The problem I had was the t-stat that came with the vintage air to cycle the compressor was stuck closed this cause my car to run real hot and my evap to freeze with in a hour or so... I unstuck the t-stat and now that the compressor cycles like it should I haven't ran hot or froze up the evap...

Note I haven't had the car out in super hot heat since the fix yet....
David H-Thanks for the reply. I am not too familiar with how air conditioning works. Can you tell me where the t-stat is located on the vintage air set up? Is the t-stat the same thing as the trianary switch?

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
David H-Thanks for the reply. I am not too familiar with how air conditioning works. Can you tell me where the t-stat is located on the vintage air set up? Is the t-stat the same thing as the trianary switch?
if you got the sure fit kit its mounted on the blower box, it has a knob on it left is warmer right is colder I set mine up to maintain around 43* air out my vents. With the a/c on you should be able to turn the knob to the left and hear the compressor kick off. If so its working then just reset it back to were it was and your good.. But then you need to look some place else for your overheating issue....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the reply. I've heard that the cowl induction hoods are not functional, but just for looks. Have you tried the cowl induction hood? If so, where did you buy it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if you got the sure fit kit its mounted on the blower box, it has a knob on it left is warmer right is colder I set mine up to maintain around 43* air out my vents. With the a/c on you should be able to turn the knob to the left and hear the compressor kick off. If so its working then just reset it back to were it was and your good.. But then you need to look some place else for your overheating issue....
Thanks for the reply. I checked the switch on the evaporator mounted under the dash. When the a/c is on I turn it to the left and the compressor comes on - to the right it's off. I think I'm good on that. Have you had any problems venting the hot air out of the engine compartment? Any ideas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts