Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my new front sump oil pump for the 327 that will be going into my 63. As you can see in the picture below the old rear sump oil pump (on the left) has an extension shaft connected to the oil pumps short drive shaft.

My questions:

#1 - How do I get this extension shaft off so that it can be installed on the new pump?

#2 - Will I need a gasket when I install the oil pump? I do not recall if there was a gasket when I removed the rear sump oil pump.

Thanks in advance for your answers!!

:ragtop:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
You can not use that shaft. The pump for front sump is different and needs a shorter shaft than the one you have. You should be able to have NAPA or other large auto supply order one or you can get them from some place like Chevy2 only. Specify front sump shaft when ordering. I do not use a gasket when bolting up the pump as both surfaces are machined and will.seal without one.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Chevy 2 Only on line catalog is showing the front sump pump shaft as part number 01004 $9.95. Don't forget to get the new connecting sleeve, preferably the metal one but the nylon one will work for stock pumps. I doubt you will be able to get the old one off your existng shaft without breaking it.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Just pull and wobble the shaft side to side while pulling and it should come off. Like said though don't reuse the collar if is a plastic one. The auto parts should have that collar and it should be the same for all small blocks( I assume), but like stated the shaft is different.

·
Premium Member
3,826 Posts
Its been about 6 years since I worked at a Chevy parts dept, but we stocked the plastic collar that is referenced above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts