Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had the chance to choose, which would it be?

350 4 bolt main

Taking a pole for my 70 factory 6 cylinder

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
what came in 70's nova 327's or 350's ?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
327 :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
To keep it simple: 350.
To be a little different: 327.

Both are fine in 'stock' form.
Both can achieve similar power numbers for similar monetary investment.

Run with what you like more.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for 327s, due to a favorite truck in my childhood having a Corvette L-79 under the hood. It was all wrong for the truck; and, yet, so right.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Under mild driving conditions with an occasional burn out here and there and on a 3rd gen for say....could one tell the difference of what’s under the hood??

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
No matter what you do to a 327, if you do the same thing to a 350, it WILL make more horsepower and torque than a 327.The 327 has a small 3.250" stroke and the 350 has a longer 3.480" stroke ,and the extra 23 cubic inches of the 350 will automatically gain more hp and torque.So if you going to spend the money I would opt for the 350. (Why not)

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I would opt for the 350 and if needing a rotating assembly then go the 3.75 stroke for the same money.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Last 327 in a Nova was 1968 (even a 325 HP L79). 1970 had 307CID/200 HP, 350 CID/250 HP and 350CID/300 HP (SS only).

Bob
Don't forget the 350/360HP (COPO only)!! Obviously, that's my vote (admittedly biased!), but match up a stock'ish LT1 with an M20 (or M21) and 4.10:1 gear and you won't regret it...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
In my mind, the 327 set the bar that other engines were compared to and still are. In its day the 327 was a serious threat to be rekoned with. A small displacement engine with big numbers to back it up. Doing more with less. Even the factory didn’t let out the true actual output ratings. The mistique of the 327 lives on to this day as this posting sudstantiats. The 327 is still a relavent engine 50 years after its departure from probuction vehicles. If being different is important enough to you then a 327 might be a serious consideration.

The 350 has been the staple of Chevrolet and GM production vehicles ever since. They are literally everywhere. It has been the beast of burden in many a fleet vehicle, pick up trucks, vans, passenger cars, wagons, Camaro’s and Corvettes.
There’s very little one can say bad about the 350. It’s just so common that it is not held up to the same rule as a 327. A boring old 350 will get it done without the uniqueness of a 327. There’s not really a bad choice here as far as capabilities. In all reality the 350 is going to be easier on the wallet as 327 blocks are not falling off of trees and finding a good one is going to take time and money where the garden variety 350s are plentiful and 4 bolts are available.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Small block

I have always liked the 327 it was foundation of all high performance small blocks in the sixties!! most people ask me is that a 350?? under the hood dressed as a 327. fortunately it is a real L-79 327 built with all the best parts and built by an old school racer. I like the old school mystic!!

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Gotta love the opinions on displacement...

There is a reason why racing classes have a maximum displacement, more cubes equals more power. If Traco could have used a 327 in their Camaros, they would have jumped at the chance. If I could have used a 355 in the Durango Deuce I'd have built that instead of the 331.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Gotta love the opinions on displacement...

There is a reason why racing classes have a maximum displacement, more cubes equals more power. If Traco could have used a 327 in their Camaros, they would have jumped at the chance. If I could have used a 355 in the Durango Deuce I'd have built that instead of the 331.
Yes.
But he's looking for a cruiser, not a way to squeeze 8 more HP than the competition out of his class-limited engine.

At the track, displacement matters.
But in the McDonald's 'drive-thru' and/or in a fairly stock configuration... not so much.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Yes.
But he's looking for a cruiser, not a way to squeeze 8 more HP than the competition out of his class-limited engine.

At the track, displacement matters.
But in the McDonald's 'drive-thru' and/or in a fairly stock configuration... not so much.
That's why I would go with a 350.
1. They're way more plentiful and less expensive
2. They are more streetable at any power level.
3. Aftermarket parts are generally specified using the 350 as the standard of displacement.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:cool:If I could find an L76 365HP 327 that was reasonably priced and not destroyed, that would be my choice in a 327 just because of the cool factor. In a '65 Corvette, even cooler. Otherwise like others have said, a 350 is a no brainer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts