Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced stock rad with aluminum with 2 fans that kick on at 170. Heat gun confirms this. I have some bosch gauges electrical temp shows water at 225 when the gun shows 190 at full operating temp. Hoses, manifold and left head check out, but looinking at engine right head is reading 20deg warmer in the 220 mark. The sending unit for water temp checks out reading 190. Im not Mechanically inclined so can anyone give me some feedback? Should i be concerned? Im in Florida and it is not the HOT season yet, dont want to fry engine. I even changed voltage regulator which someone suggested. And changed sending unit on gauge NOGOOD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had hot running car would vapor lock only at idle when moving it would get better. Running a 160 thermo changed from a 180 Changed sending unit sensor to manifold and actually put a spacer between it. Gauge still goes up to 220 but when i put heat gun on senser it reads 190. Should i be worried.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when the car is cold and i put heat gun on gauge sending unit. It reads 65, but then when i go turn key on not start car it is reading140 thats not right is it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just changed sending unit still same problem. Even changed voltage regulator which someone suggested. By the heat gun everything reads correct, hoses, manifold, heads except the right head is 10 to 15 warmer. Cant figure it out

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
What thermostat rating are you using? Did you have a hot running engine before the rad and fan change? Where is the sending unit sensor mounted?
All very good questions . . . .

just , FYI - - - I use " S/W " aftermarket gauges ( I also left all my ' idiot lights ' connected , but - - - - - my gauges are " mechanical read " type .
Great idea using the 'temp - gun' . I also installed a 'kinda back-up water temp gauge' - - - Direct Read Moon water temp gauge on top of my 'thermostat housing' . . . . . .

maybe some pictures ? ? , later , jim

·
6,195 Posts
when the car is cold and i put heat gun on gauge sending unit. It reads 65, but then when i go turn key on not start car it is reading140 thats not right is it?
Shouldn't do a big change like that. Faulty sensor, gauge or mis-match of parts. You mentioned you put a spacer between the sender and manifold. Why? You could be getting some error due to grounding of the sender. Teflon tape?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts