Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the following block is worth that I have had in storage for several years:

Casting Number: 3959538
Suffix Code: CE 9A42118
Dated Code: A 3 9 (Jan 3, 1969)

Any info helps. Could it be an L79 replacement block?

Thanks, Wes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,387 Posts
CE blocks are warranty replacements. This particular casting # is a 327 block especially for Chevy II with the recessed oil filter boss. Could be used for any 327 application. Whether or not this is a L79 block is kind of a non-issue. Once you replace the original block with a CE the engine numbers no longer match.

I have a buddy with an awesome 1968 RS/z/28 Camaro and he damaged the block on the original 302 so he bought what was one of the last CE 302 blocks in existence several years ago from a Chevy dealership in Alaska. The car is still awesome but it no longer has the original DZ302 block which has a somewhat detrimental effect on the value of the car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Interesting that the CE stamp is in front of the sequeance of numbers and letters. Is this the norm for CE blocks? Also looks like too many numbers. What is that about?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[QUOTE
Quoting from a Chevrolet Dealer Service Information Bulletin dated 14 April, 1969:

The first letter will designate the GM division which produced the engine. C-Chevrolet L-Oldsmobile K-Cadillac B-Buick P-Pontiac

The second letter will designate the type of unit "E" engine or "T" transmission. The number following the letter will designate the model year "9" for 1969. The last five digits specify the service replacement unit sequence number. The group of numbers to be used by Chevrolet manufacturing plants [for engines, CRG] are as follows:

Flint motor plant (L-6 engines) 00001 to 19999
Flint V-8 engine plant 20000 to 49999
Tonowanda motor plant 50000 to 79999

Example: Number CE900175 designates Chevrolet engine - 1969 year, and the 175th unit produced for service at the Flint motor plant.

="mrhchevy62, post: 5976193, member: 138830"]
Interesting that the CE stamp is in front of the sequeance of numbers and letters. Is this the norm for CE blocks? Also looks like too many numbers. What is that about?
[/QUOTE]

·
Vendor
2,486 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the following block is worth that I have had in storage for several years:

Casting Number: 3959538
Suffix Code: CE 9A42118
Dated Code: A 3 9 (Jan 3, 1969)

Any info helps. Could it be an L79 replacement block?

Thanks, Wes
Would you mind posting a pic of the front timing cover area of the block? I am trying to document the casting plate numbers used on Chevy II blocks and do not have a front for a CE block (y)

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,237 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts