Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 327 bored .30 over. Gonna do a tune up this weekend, and would like to know:

What oil is right for the job. thinking about Valvoline 60W cause its on sale lol.
what is the proper timing for the distributor?
What are some good spark plugs to use?
Think about buying an Edelbrock 650 cfm electric choke carb. is that a right move? running a edelbrock RPM and 750 holley currently.
How often should I changed the air filter?

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Not enough info is here to really help out. Depending on heads and camshaft... You can run factory ac plugs and in the factory heat range probably ts-45 or something like that for tapered seat heads or r-45's for gasket seat. Set your timing for no more than 36 degrees to start total. And maybe 8 to 10 initial. Your Holley is probably a bit large but it sImtke work fine. Probably 1 or 1.5 turns out to start. Once you get it all up and running is when you can zero in on what your engine really wants or needs as far as timing and carb adjustment. I'd run something cheap as far as oil if your just starting it up after sitting a while. IF it needs a full break in then your best bet is break in specific oil or Rotella with some zinc additive. Get up some more info on your combo. I'm sure more folks will have different answers for you also and especially when know what your running. At least then you will have no shortage of information from people here to help make your decision.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my 63 is my daily driver,

Engine is bored over 0.03 was rebuilt rougly 3 years ago
has an Accel HEI distributor, 750 cfm carb, edelbrock performer, has a mild cam but not sure how big, Holley feul pump, and headman headers running through two flowmaster 3in. I am not to sure about the internals came with the car when i purchased it. I want to give it a good tune up, not a true racer just want to keep her in good shape as I can.

·
Registered
20,118 Posts
12 degrees initial timing, need to check for total. Keep the 750 Holley if it's a vacuum secondary since you already have it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts