Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 305 in the garage that has an engine stamped sufix letters DDU. I cant seem to find out exactly what it is.Does anyone here know where to look for the sufix info. I did a few google searches but none of the sites I checked seem to list this sufix.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a 305 in the garage that has an engine stamped sufix letters DDU. I cant seem to find out exactly what it is.Does anyone here know where to look for the sufix info. I did a few google searches but none of the sites I checked seem to list this sufix.
DDU = (RPO-LG4) 305 cu in 4 bbl 165 hp w/700R4auto trans found in a '86 Caprice, Impala, Malibu, Monte Carlo, & Camaro

A 305 TPI replacement camshaft in this would make for pretty quick 0-60 mph times with decent mpg. If the plans are to make lots of power and really go fast, save your dollars for a large displacement engine. A 305 is a decent engine for a daily driver. I ran one in my Nova for a few years. In my experience, it's not going to be a torque monster so don't tie up a lot of dollars on go fast parts for this one.

I liked this camshaft in a daily driver a 305. It's a very modest choice but it's reliable, low maintenance, & gets decent mpg. And did I mention the price? $49.95

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-1102/

And here is the cam & lifter kit that was discontinued. I added this link so you could read the notes.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G5000/

And with a flat tappet camshaft, an oil with zinc or using a zinc additive is an absolute necessity now.

·
Registered
265 Posts
yeah was going to say thats a plain jane lg4 block...

if your wanting to do a 305 build I can show you some tricks.. but honestly you get more bang for your buck going to a mild 350... as the old heads like me say.. there is no replacement for displacement....

now if you want to power up a 305.. dont go to too large of a cam.. the small valves wont breathe well enough to make use of huge lift.

the best 305's ( in my opinion) were the factory LU5 (crossfire 82-84 motor) or L69 ( 4bbl HO motor that replaced the LU5..) both of these motors had factory flat top pistons and better rotating assemblies with the corvette grind cam for that year. If I am not mistaken its a 416 casting head,which with mild porting and a decent cam and intake will give you a solid 250+ streetable horsepower.
with good ignition exhaust and a nice grind cam with everything matching 250-300 hp is doable, just cheaper and easier to do with 350's, but 305 is still a decent motor if done right.

check my posts.. i have a vid of a nice 305 I built... you just have to know how to tap into that motor to get power... its just a bit more limited than a 350 is all

people tend to look down on a 305... what they forget is it was a motor built to be emissions friendly and still torquey... it has the same stroke as 350... you can even interchange the rotating assembly. pistons are smaller diameter than 350 is all... rest of your parts interchange in every way, carb to pan.

I personally have done a few 313 ci 305 motors that crank out well over 300 hp at the crank... I know a few guys that SPECIFICALLY build 2 piece rear mains for circle track racing... they get well into 400 hp...

all comes down to money... cheaper to do with a 350... but can be done on a 305 too..

·
Registered
265 Posts
im such a dummy i forgot my response to your post.... its a low compression lg4 motor... dished pistons with valve reliefs and 54- 58 cc combustion chamber heads.. ( probably 601's or something along those lines...)

mild cam and decent daily driver though.. like 8.5 to 1 compression.

want to build a little power with a 305..ill show ya some old school and new school stuff...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts