Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure a lot of you guys have done the conversion, but what did you do to lock-down the shift collar to keep it from moving around. Welded, bolted, jammed it?

I was thinking of using the remaining shift stub to mount a small Tach on it, but I have to lock it into place somehow first.

Any pictures of your set-up would be great for ideas.

Thanks as always

DW

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Mine always moved if I twisted it. It alows you to see the fuel gauge on a third Gen.

·
Registered
682 Posts
........I haven't made it that far with mine yet but I was planning to grind off the nub and fill the hole on mine......................but...........now you've got my cogs turning with the tach idea. You might be onto something cool:cool:
Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I pulled the arm out of mine and mounted a shiftlight.
There really not any movement at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The tach mount idea is great! I used wooden door shims top and bottom, I just pushed them in until they wedged. It hasn't moved for two years.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The '66 I am working on was previously a Powerglide car, so the column was obviously for an auto, but this might also apply to the 3-speed column shift.

I cut the shifter "nub" off the collar and filled as per usual, but also cut all the shifter linkage arms off the end of the column, filled the notches in the end of the outer tube, and shortened the column as much as possible. To deal with the way the inner tube is secured at the lower end of the column, I reworked the existing stock spacer (for lack of a better term) and re-welded the washers that formerly retained the springs (now discarded) at the end of the column. Up top, the column is essentially the same as stock, minus the shift lever. To deal with the ability to rotate the shift collar (and, subsequently, the inner tube), I made a small bracket that fits in place where the reverse light switch used to fit and holds the "tang" on the inner tube stationary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts