Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, a rare 3 on-the-tree L79 Sport Coupe. Unfortunately, it would probably be more desireable if it had a 4 speed. This car is for sale at Legendary Motorcar just outside Toronto, Ontario, but from the black firewall and spatter painted trunk, it appears to be a U.S. build. No mention of documentation or paperwork. Nice car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966...3871624?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a79575c88

Bob

·
Registered
20,127 Posts
You would think it would be worth more money with the 3 speed being a more rare car?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
3 on the tree...I wonder why :confused: Maybe the original buyer was in a rush and checked the box next to 'Manual Trans' without reading the whole option :D

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
3 on the tree...I wonder why :confused: Maybe the original buyer was in a rush and checked the box next to 'Manual Trans' without reading the whole option :D
That one made me smile. Back in the day ('71 - '73) when I was selling Chevies, our sales manager did most of the ordering. He was a real workaholic and was always there to lock up at night. Sometimes, he'd go next door to the bar and have a few, then come back and fill out order forms. Needless to say, we sometimes received some VERY interesting cars! :D

That's actually how my Malibu ended up with me. He special-ordered it for a customer, but accidentally checked 'bucket seats' instead of 'bench seat'. The customer wouldn't take it and he ordered the guy another car. My dad saw it and loved the buckets, so I sold it to him! :yes:

·
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was no manual transmission box to check. Every 1966 Chevy II, including L79s, came with 3 speed manual at no extra cost unless you checked powerglide (not available with L79s) or 4 speed (with V/8s). The 4 speed was a $184 option on top of the $197 L79 option. Considering the entire car was about $3000, $400 for an optional engine and tranny was big bucks in 1966. Lots of people couldn't afford both, so they paid for the L79 and got the 3 speed at no extra cost. I suffered this exact thing when I ordered a new Falcon Sport Coupe in 1965. I paid for the optional 289 V/8, but the cost of the 4 speed put me over my loan limit, so I had no choice except to opt for the no extra cost 3 speed manual. We have to remember that $400 in options in the 60's was about the same as $4000 today:eek:.

Bob

·
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, lets start picking it apart;). It has a '67 instrument bezel. The '66 was black.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
You would think it would be worth more money with the 3 speed being a more rare car?
The 3 speed makes it a little more unique . IMO.
Unique, YES. More valuable, not necessarily.

A '400' series Nova Convertible (as an example) is more rare than its 'SS' counterpart, and yet they are generally less valuable.

·
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unique, YES. More valuable, not necessarily.

A '400' series Nova Convertible (as an example) is more rare than its 'SS' counterpart, and yet they are generally less valuable.
Same goes for the six cylinder 1966 SS cars. There were just over 4000 built compared to over 16,000 V/8s.....way rarer car, but the demand for them is minimal and they don't fetch anywhere near the sale dollars.

Bob

·
Registered
931 Posts
L79

I purchased this car from original owner 5 years ago. It is a neat car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Documentation?

Is the paperwork,documentation available. If you owned 5 years ago then I suppose you might have paid more than what it is listed for now.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I NOTICE FOLKS POINT OUT FLAWS IN WHATEVER AND SEEM TO TO RUN FROM THE CAR ITSELF! THE CAR CAN EASILY BE RETAINED TO IT'S ORIGINAL FASHION.BUT AS-IS IT'S FINE AND WORTHY OF SALE :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts