Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first one on a 73 can i change the oil pan gasget with outpulling the engine?

second i have a set of msd plug wires and my nuber one sparkplug wire the part of the boot that sayd msd has melted because of my header and is cracked a tiny bit just where the logo is could this be causeing the surging of my engine?

and finally i have changed my trans pan gasget 2 time and it still leaks out of the gasget yes i am doing it right but its a chrome pan and the lip where the gasget goes is chromed and is real slick could this be why im not getting a good seal?

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
The oil pan. i think you have to pull the motor to do it right. there is just no room:no: the wire IDK :no: the trans. are you sure the pan is leaking and not the dipstick tube or the kick down cable? I've replaced pan gaskets before that didn't fix the leak:yes: check those other two spots.

·
Registered
247 Posts
first one on a 73 can i change the oil pan gasget with outpulling the engine?

second i have a set of msd plug wires and my nuber one sparkplug wire the part of the boot that sayd msd has melted because of my header and is cracked a tiny bit just where the logo is could this be causeing the surging of my engine?

and finally i have changed my trans pan gasget 2 time and it still leaks out of the gasget yes i am doing it right but its a chrome pan and the lip where the gasget goes is chromed and is real slick could this be why im not getting a good seal?
#1 ....yes you have to lift the engine a few inches up...unbolt the motor mounts and careful with your distributer when you do it...i have done it

#2 ....it could arch from boot where it is cracked....chances are high....it may miss and would feel like a fouled spark plug...

#3 ....what kind of gasket are you using on the trans pan..cork or the black rubber gasket.....be careful with using sealants too.....cork gaskets split and are not prefered.....find a better quality gasket if you can

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
1. Yes, but you will have to remove the motor mount bolts and lift the engine to get the pan out.

2. It could. When it is dark, run the engine and look for a lightning storm around that boot.

3. It might be the chrome pan. I got tired of fighting leaks on a set of chrome valve covers I had, and re-installed the factory painted covers. The chrome units are usually made of thinner metal, and just won't transfer the clamping force across the pan rail. You can try to reinforce it, but, just putting the factory one back on will probably be the solution.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
#1 ....yes you have to lift the engine a few inches up...unbolt the motor mounts and careful with your distributer when you do it...i have done it

#2 ....it could arch from boot where it is cracked....chances are high....it may miss and would feel like a fouled spark plug...

#3 ....what kind of gasket are you using on the trans pan..cork or the black rubber gasket.....be careful with using sealants too.....cork gaskets split and are not prefered.....find a better quality gasket if you can
#1 crap stupid hei dist will get in the way
#2well it does feel like its missing but wires are expensive
#3 nova bro it seams to seap from the gasget, i have used both cork and rubber, people have told me since the lip is chrome i should scuff it u to get a better seal

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
you can always buy one of those finned aluminum trans pans. they seal great:yes: the flange is like 1/4" thick. good for an even clamping load:yes: you can probably get a Summit brand one cheap.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can always buy one of those finned aluminum trans pans. they seal great:yes: the flange is like 1/4" thick. good for an even clamping load:yes: you can probably get a Summit brand one cheap.
the one i bougt has a thick flange and the metal is a shade thiker from the stcok one

·
Registered
508 Posts
#1and 2 were answerd
#3 you need to sand the lip of the pan to get the chrome off. iff you dont it willl leak for sure. by sanding the chrome off you give the gasket a rougher surface to setle in and will not push the gasket. the chrome on the lip is slick and will always push the gasket out thus leaving you with a leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts