Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-194 in³ (3.2 L) inline 6-
alright, i got 3 for ya guys.
theres probably a quick answer to this, my idle creeps up. starts of nice and smooth and in about 30 seconds it gets to be a a really loud rough beast. if i tap the gas itll go back down then start creepin up again. whats goin on with this??
second theres clack. its not too loud but loud enough, i havent got much info on it besides its not a normal noise... if you could just point me in the right direction...
and finally, when i shift into drive, accerlerate too quickly, or just starting from a stop my cars dies. i was thinkin fuel pump, but my brotherinlaw says no.
i am just starting to learn to work on cars, im sure ya can tell, so id appreciate the help.
thanks aton everyone.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
The 3rd one is the carb accellerator pump. Its a little squirt pump in the carb that gives an extra jolt of gas when you open the throttle so the engine won't go lean and cough or hesitate, and possibly die. The other 2 questions are to ill defined to address.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check the intake -ex gasket. they have a habit of leaking causing all sorts of problems. Like was said make sure the acc. pump is adjusted correctly. It must be absolutely right or the engine will have a real nasty flat-spot.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Chances are you have multiple problems for it to fall on its face so badly. Some quick checks.

Idle surging sounds like a vacumm leak of some sort. On older carbs, check the play in the throttle shaft. When they get worn, it can act like a vacumm leak. Some people spray a small amount of starting fluid around a carb to see if the idle changes, pointing to a vacuum leak. Better done when the car is still fairly cool.

On those sixes, check the intake/exhaust manifold bolts. Some times the front or rear ones loosen up. Don't get carried away checking them. It should be real obvious if one is loose enough to cause a vacumm leak. You dont want to bust one of the studs off by over tightening.

Also check the PCV hose if so equiped. If it is mushy, it may be collapsing when warm. This will vary the idle.

Falling on its face during acceleration/shift could be timing or accelerator pump. Most likely gas/vacumm related.

Make sure the distributer vacumm advance isn't cracked/bad on the distributor. It should hold a vacumm when checked, if it doesn't, replace it. Take the distributor cap off and manually turn the rotor to check to see if the mechanical advance is working. It should turn a small amount by hand and then snap back to where it was when you let go. If it wont turn or sticks going back there may be a problem with the mechanical advance. While the cap is off, look at it inside. If there are small hairline carbon traces from one post to another, it may be causing a miss.

After these checks, check the point dwell if point based and then the timing. Timing is set at idle with vacumm advance disconnected.

You can check the carb accelerator pump. Car off, Choke open, look down in the carb and turn the throttle to full. You should see a fairly strong small jet of gas shot into the intake from the top inside of the carb. That is what the accelerator pump in the carb is supposed to do. Give a shot of gas when advancing the throttle to accelerate.

Clatter can be rockers or a cracked drive plate. Or many other things.

At night when dark open the hood and rev the engine. See if there any sparks or shorts from the plug wires or the coil. If there are, replace the wires or coil as needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts