Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying the keep the peace with everyone from the local police, neighbors, wife, kids, etc. The car is pretty loud! I can not set the timing in my driveway without someone wining. Motor is a 406 with 215 intake runner heads, 1.75" primary tube chassis headers, 3" mandrel bent exhaust with h-pipe. The exits are behind the tires. I have a set of the 18" glass packs from summit and wondering if putting them in front of the flow masters would quiet the car down at all? And also, How would it effect performance? Thought about changing the mufflers altogether but do to the variations in size and shapes, it would be a lot more work.
What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I don't know if you would be willing to experiment but, I have heard that aiming exhaust at one another will cancel out excessive noise. I saw a car at the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona last November that had the tailpipes going over the axle, run straight back and then use dumps that face each other. I heard the car idle and it wasn't the bad. Something about sound waves and whatever. From what I have heard, it will be very difficult to quiet a 3" or larger exhaust. If it's quiet, performance will suffer. I have a house for sale in my neighborhood. I'd love to hear that sucker.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is an interesting concept. I thought about turning the tips down as well. Down side of that is the dust it stirs up. I think I will try messing with the tips- We have a big swapmeet/carshow happpening this weekend in socal, I will have to look for ideas there. I read the parts list in your signature. You drive that monster on the street??? How does it hook up?

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
I would think the easiest thing to do would be to put some quieter mufflers in place of the loud ones. I wouldn't worry about the power loss, Flowmasters are nothing magic in that department.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Try the quiet Spintech mufflers, A friend of mine had a radical BB Chevy 496 loud as heck. Put the Spintechs on it and it sounds great with a 3" exaust.

Carl

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
The car is still in the finishing stages. I have not fired it up yet. With the low compression I should be able to drive it around without any problems. I will keep my fellow members posted. It looks like this 3 1/2 year project will finally fire up this summer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So instead of just header-pipe-flowmaster, it would be something like header-pipe-glasspack-flowmaster
That is a similar setup that i use. I had just the 40 series Delta Flows with turnouts in front of the rear tire and was very loud. I added a set of Dynomax Bullets that slip on the collector then they are welded directly to the Flowmasters then the turnouts. Adding the bullet's did tame down the sound and took out that ringing open header sound that the Delta Flows had, it made the car more bareable at idle especially, but in noway is the car considered quiet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MelloYello said:
That is a similar setup that i use. I had just the 40 series Delta Flows with turnouts in front of the rear tire and was very loud. I added a set of Dynomax Bullets that slip on the collector then they are welded directly to the Flowmasters then the turnouts. Adding the bullet's did tame down the sound and took out that ringing open header sound that the Delta Flows had, it made the car more bareable at idle especially, but in noway is the car considered quiet.
This is what I had in mind just back wards. glas packs first then fm probably doesn't matter. and yes only the flow masters are installed currently. I think I might try it just for fun. It sounds nice the way it is at idle but crack the trottle and it shakes your fillings loose- all the neighbor kids duck!! I have managed to change my driving habits to get in and out of the neighborhood with out anyone throwing stuff at me.

gg64ss,
Sounds like a very stout set up!! Keep us posted on the trials

What would be a quiet muffler in the same demensions as a 40 series?

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
theoretically if two "mufflers" are placed in a system, its twice the muffling power....but thats just in theory. whos i dont know. i would think it may make it quiter, but also may increase backpressure to an unsuitable amount, chokin the engine. i'd maybe switch to a turbo muffler or something of that nature...my wifes camaro has a 408 sbc and 3 inch exhaust into a vforce muffler and dumps in front of the rear end. its loud, but not bonejarring, teeth rattling loud....id say go quiter muffler...

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
You could try some sound dampening inserts. I think they just slip into your tail pipe. They are cone shaped and made of a metal mesh. I guess the mesh dissapates the sound. Justa idea.

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
too loud

Mike, I also have a 3" system on my car with flowmasters.I just bought a new set of hooker comps headers because the old ones were leaking at the heads.The guy I bought the car from didn't upgrade the headers when he put in the new crate motor.The pipes were not big enough.I too love the sound but it does get loud.I'm not sure which flowmasters I have but thinking about changing them.I'm not sure if changing to a different flowmaster will do it.
Don't get me wrong the sound is great but when you want the family to go for a ride it won't be a long one!

Steve:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Try a crossover pipe close to the headers.This will help dampen the exh. pulses and will not hurt HP. either it works!!! and its cheeeeeep. Doug

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
an x-pipe, not an h-pipe, and 3 chamber flows, what is it, like a 50 series?? and definitely pipes all the way back. a lot of my friends run this setup, its quiet enough to think they dont have much under the hood. and if they whine over that MOVE.........J/K! just my 2

JOHN

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have 400 hp and run headers, 3 in mandrel, x pipe and 3 chamber flows 50 series that dump before the axle. some om my neighbors don't like it but the cops think it's cool.
Pi$$ on the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Am I wrong or didnt the factory do some setups with 4 mufflers...except they called the one set of mufflers resonators? (I believe the job of the resonators was to tone down the note of the exhaust somewhat before the mufflers (hmmm..or was it after the mufflers???)...either way they ran both mufflers AND resonators on the same car...they must have severed a purpose of somesort...anyone have thoughts on this? :)

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
The job of the resonators was to modify the sound of the exhaust from really quiet to barely a whisper.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Mike Goble said:
The job of the resonators was to modify the sound of the exhaust from really quiet to barely a whisper.
so where they behind the muffler then?

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
What about those mufflers, I can't remember the name that use disks that you can add or remove to change the level. They were really big in the Pro-Street era. They went right on the tip of the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts