Chevy Nova Forum banner

3:36 gears

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Aml396 
#1 ·
Anyone ever run this gear in a quarter along with a th350 ?
I know its probably all but unheard of but I'm curious about what the results were if anyone has done it with a given motor and car . 3:36 rear dif

#12 ·
Optimally you want to cross the stripe just past where you would normally shift it. And you want to shift it a few hundred rpm past peak hp. My car made peak power at 7200, so I shifted at 7500 and crossed at 7700. As far as tire, you do NOT want to go to a shorter tire. Put the biggest tire you can fit and gear it accordingly. A taller tire puts a bigger contact patch than wide and short.

#14 ·
Bracketchev70 that is theTruth!

If you want to optimize your n/a combination look at stock and superstock cars. Those cars 60' extremely well for their overall et/mph. Typical N/A drag cars NEED to make most of their work in the first 300 feet to get the best et. This involves a lot of converter stall, and alot of gear ratio. Stock/superstockers run rpm way past peak hp at the stripe.

If it's a street/strip car and drivability - freeway cruise rpm - is a concern it becomes a compromise to et. If you are spinning off the line fix the chassis, don't blame the gear ratio.

#20 ·
If it makes strong midrange torque you'll probably benefit from an early low-to-second gear shift rather than the early 2nd-to-third with the 3 speed auto, so that the rpm falls back just a bit more into the meat of the power curve and the car accelerates a little harder than it does with it in first just whining away in low at the top end of the power range.

#21 ·
Yeah I guess I could maybe shift a 5200 in first which would be about 46 or 47 mph with the given 2.75 first gear and 3.36 rear and 28 inch tire.
Then spin up to 6 grand in second which would be 97 mph with 1.52 second gear . Then shift to drive and then wheteever I land is wherever I land lol
.I'm gonna have quite a bit of power and torque for the whole ride to 6 grand .
I'm building VERY close to this engine spec attached here . The difference is I'm getting afr 195 comp heads and I'll be running more cfm on the carb with a dual plane air gap without the cut out in the divider .
Also I'll be on a 108 versus the 110 LSA you see in this motor spec here .
Its gonna be an animal. No question about that. The big question is gonna be can I get it to hook well enough .
That's why with this engine I think I'm gonna be better with taller gears in the ass.
Plus my first gear in this 359 tranny I'm runnin is 2.75 to 1 versus the stock 2.52.
I think itll work .
Then I've got coil over suspension in the car so I've got alot of adjustability there to get the weight to transfer how/where I need it .
Your thoughts??

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.