Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever run this gear in a quarter along with a th350 ?
I know its probably all but unheard of but I'm curious about what the results were if anyone has done it with a given motor and car . 3:36 rear dif

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I ran 3.36s in my bone stock 10 bolt. 421 sbc. 4K stall and th350. Car ran 10.90s-11.0s with that gear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran 3.36s in my bone stock 10 bolt. 421 sbc. 4K stall and th350. Car ran 10.90s-11.0s with that gear.
Wow I like sound of that ..
I've got a stock 10 bolt 8.2 with 3:36.
385 C1
What rpm were you at roughly at ET ?
Were you widing it all the way up in second ?
How did that 4k stall work on the street ?
What brand stall ?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Wow I like sound of that ..
I've got a stock 10 bolt 8.2 with 3:36.
385 C1
What rpm were you at roughly at ET ?
Were you widing it all the way up in second ?
How did that 4k stall work on the street ?
What brand stall ?
Around 124mph. Rpm though the traps was around 5500 if I remember correctly. It’s been a few years since I ran that gear. I shift it just over 7k. Around 7200. Now with the 4.10s I’m just touching the 7400 rev limiter going through the traps. Engine makes peak hp at 7100. It’s a decent converter so the street manners are great. Tight on the street, loose when i flash it or demand of it. It’s a PTC converter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh wow ok . 7200
Around 124mph. Rpm though the traps was around 5500 if I remember correctly. It’s been a few years since I ran that gear. I shift it just over 7k. Around 7200. Now with the 4.10s I’m just touching the 7400 rev limiter going through the traps. Engine makes peak hp at 7100. It’s a decent converter so the street manners are great. Tight on the street, loose when i flash it or demand of it. It’s a PTC converter.
Yeah **** then I guess goin through the traps at max rpm and or hp wouldnt be king James gospel then . Maybe a watered down version lol
With those ET'S I'd take it .
Only thing is its kind of an apples oranges conversation now because you were obviously running a longer cam than me .
Il be running
233/236 @ .050. 282/292 advertised
.580 lift .
Afr 195 competition heads .
On a 385 cubic inch.
525 hp at around 6400
530 torque at around 4700

I might be able to run up to 6700.in second
What do you think ?
**** I might as well try it .
Only thing is if I get a converter set up for 336 gear and then 336 ain't playin the song I want I'd have to change converter AND gears . No ??

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Oh wow ok . 7200

Yeah **** then I guess goin through the traps at max rpm and or hp wouldnt be king James gospel then . Maybe a watered down version lol
With those ET'S I'd take it .
Only thing is its kind of an apples oranges conversation now because you were obviously running a longer cam than me .
Il be running
233/236 @ .050. 282/292 advertised
.580 lift .
Afr 195 competition heads .
On a 385 cubic inch.
525 hp at around 6400
530 torque at around 4700

I might be able to run up to 6700.in second
What do you think ?
**** I might as well try it .
Only thing is if I get a converter set up for 336 gear and then 336 ain't playin the song I want I'd have to change converter AND gears . No ??
I think 6700 will be doable for the over rev. I went from 3.36s to 3.73s to 4.10s with the same converter. No issues. I do have a different converter now though that I want to try. My engine would be happier leaving the line closer to 5k. I’m leaving off idle now and still cutting low 1.5 sixty’s.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think 6700 will be doable for the over rev. I went from 3.36s to 3.73s to 4.10s with the same converter. No issues. I do have a different converter now though that I want to try. My engine would be happier leaving the line closer to 5k. I’m leaving off idle now and still cutting low 1.5 sixty’s.
What was the ET drop with the changes in gears ?
Also how much power and torque can a stock th350 handle ?
I'm gonna be over 500 power and torque.
I'm thinkin I'm definitely gonna have to get somthin done to that tranny

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How was it hookin with the 336 and 4k stall?
What tires ?
I've got 275 60 15 .
I was thinkin about goin to a shoter tire to shorten the taller gear

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
How was it hookin with the 336 and 4k stall?
What tires ?
I've got 275 60 15 .

I was thinkin about goin to a shoter tire to shorten the taller gear
The car is the car in my signature. 66 nova. I use to run a 26x8” slick. I’ve since mini tubbed it and run a 28x10.5” slick. The gear ratio changed dropped my et by .4 tenths. I did a few other things besides the gear change that I’m sure contributed to the et drop.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Optimally you want to cross the stripe just past where you would normally shift it. And you want to shift it a few hundred rpm past peak hp. My car made peak power at 7200, so I shifted at 7500 and crossed at 7700. As far as tire, you do NOT want to go to a shorter tire. Put the biggest tire you can fit and gear it accordingly. A taller tire puts a bigger contact patch than wide and short.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Isn't the 3.36 gear installed initially in the early wagons?

Are you concerned that the 8.2 will be the weak link?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Optimally you want to cross the stripe just past where you would normally shift it. And you want to shift it a few hundred rpm past peak hp. My car made peak power at 7200, so I shifted at 7500 and crossed at 7700. As far as tire, you do NOT want to go to a shorter tire. Put the biggest tire you can fit and gear it accordingly. A taller tire puts a bigger contact patch than wide and short.
Bracketchev70 that is theTruth!

If you want to optimize your n/a combination look at stock and superstock cars. Those cars 60' extremely well for their overall et/mph. Typical N/A drag cars NEED to make most of their work in the first 300 feet to get the best et. This involves a lot of converter stall, and alot of gear ratio. Stock/superstockers run rpm way past peak hp at the stripe.

If it's a street/strip car and drivability - freeway cruise rpm - is a concern it becomes a compromise to et. If you are spinning off the line fix the chassis, don't blame the gear ratio.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Isn't the 3.36 gear installed initially in the early wagons?

Are you concerned that the 8.2 will be the weak link?
I've got a 66 as and a 66 malibu .
The 66 malibu came stock with 10 bolt 8.2 with 336 gears
The 66 ss came with 12 bolt 8.5 with 336 gears
I wouldn't know what they were putting in statonwagons in 66 nor in 86 lol

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The 12 bolt was a 8.875 rear. The 8.5 10 bolt didn't come out until 1972-3.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'lI'stick with the 275 60 15 then . And put the 373 gear in . Maybe get a good quality 3500 stall and itd probably show up pretty good and talk lol
Bracketchev70 that is theTruth!

If you want to optimize your n/a combination look at stock and superstock cars. Those cars 60' extremely well for their overall et/mph. Typical N/A drag cars NEED to make most of their work in the first 300 feet to get the best et. This involves a lot of converter stall, and alot of gear ratio. Stock/superstockers run rpm way past peak hp at the stripe.

If it's a street/strip car and drivability - freeway cruise rpm - is a concern it becomes a compromise to et. If you are spinning off the line fix the chassis, don't blame the gear ratio.
Yeah I've actually got brand new 373 and 456 gears right in the garage . 336 is in the car with an 8.2 .
I can't see getting to max rpm and or hp at ET with 336 gear unless I shift out of second early . Running a th350 .
I could put the 373 in the 8.2 rear end and it's still steetable. Hell I drive an 89 k2500 every day 350 400 410 ..3200rmp @70 and that doesn't bother me .
Or I could leave the 336 in the car and put the 456 gears in an 8.875 rear end I have laying on the floor in there .
Change it over to race .

·
Registered
577 Posts
If it makes strong midrange torque you'll probably benefit from an early low-to-second gear shift rather than the early 2nd-to-third with the 3 speed auto, so that the rpm falls back just a bit more into the meat of the power curve and the car accelerates a little harder than it does with it in first just whining away in low at the top end of the power range.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts