Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a reputable seller for some replacement leaf springs. I have multi leaf now in my 67 coupe but they have sagged over the years. Looking to replace with another set of multis and maybe get rid of these junky traction bars I have. I'm trying not to break the bank too badly. Looking to be around $250-$300.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I'm also interested in this, but I want to go from mono leaf to multi. Someone please respond!

·
Registered
59 Posts
springs

Check out Eaton for the springs. They have what you want.
I have a 63 with factory installed 3 leaf springs and am considering replacing them with Eaton ones. A lot of Nova guys think that the Sedans came with mono leafs all the time but that is not so and they also think the 3 leaf is a after market addition but not so also. Some Novas came with factory 3 leafs and some of the 4 door Novas did so also. It always puzzles me why the wagons had the mono spring and the little sedan had the three leaf once in awhile. The pros tell me that early Novas had mono leafs 90% of the time but I have seen some factory 3 leafs around back in the 70's. I think that there was a package of heavy duty additions that was available in the 60's Novas that might not be unreasonable to consider existed. Anyway, have fun.

Remember there is always a exception to the rule and a rule to any exception. - Socrates

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,581 Posts
I did some research of spring loads of the various springs used under the '65 Novas and found that the SS Nova mono had a slightly higher load rating. I went to Eaton's website and found the springs that looked like it would be what I wanted. I then called Eaton and they said my choice was correct for my car.

I took into consideration that two "large" adults would sometimes be riding in the back seat and this was what I came up with. I'm hoping to install the springs and differential housing in a couple of weeks but my car is a long time off before it's back on the road.

The Eaton part number is: ML6953-1

I also bought an installation kit: IKGC5013

Go here to look up the part numbers for your '66-67 Nova:

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/findmyvehicle/

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Eaton seems to be pretty popular. I'm looking at C2O as well.

So I'm reading it's ok to use the mono spring mounts with 3 leaf springs. Is that accurate? That's how mine is now and I want to make sure that's ok before I do all this work.

I also need to find some shock mounts since I'm going to get rid of the traction bars. Anything there I need to look for?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
i have 3 leafs an using single leaf mounts on my 66. there are spacers installed to make the difference between mounts. you will need the longer u bolts. i put a picture up but doesn't really show the spacer real well.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have 3 leafs an using single leaf mounts on my 66. there are spacers installed to make the difference between mounts. you will need the longer u bolts. i put a picture up but doesn't really show the spacer real well.
Ok. I think I see the spacer. Thanks for that. Is that custom or purchased?

You are using the pads, correct? Guess that would be pretty bad if you weren't. My current setup just looks sloppy. I seem to recall the pads not fitting in there that nicely but that was literally decades ago. Your setup looks pretty clean.

Started looking for OE type shock mounts this morning. Are there multi leaf shock mounts or are they all the same? I keep reading about a locator pin that was there with the monos but not on the multis?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
this leaf set-up was on the nova when i bought it a few years back. i'm pretty sure the pads are in there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. I think I see the spacer. Thanks for that. Is that custom or purchased?

You are using the pads, correct? Guess that would be pretty bad if you weren't. My current setup just looks sloppy. I seem to recall the pads not fitting in there that nicely but that was literally decades ago. Your setup looks pretty clean.

Started looking for OE type shock mounts this morning. Are there multi leaf shock mounts or are they all the same? I keep reading about a locator pin that was there with the monos but not on the multis?
Also, do you suggest u bolts all around or just on the outer end with t bolts on the inner?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I’ve had 4 first gen Nova’s, all hardtop SS cars, and all had mono leafs.. I don’t think multi leafs were available as a factory option until 73 or 74..

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Did those springs come stock with the car? Anybody else chime in, mono leaf only I think in 66-67

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine has them too but I have no way of telling whether or not they're original.

So hey, having trouble finding shock mounts. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I’m going to speculate that if you look at the mounts on your axle they will be mono leaf mounts and therefore your car originally came with mono leafs. If you have multi leaf mounts look carefully at the mounts to see if they look like they are original or replacements..

·
Registered
409 Posts
My 63 wagon originally came with a mono leaf, I went to a local spring company and they got me a three leaf replacement spring. I looked all over for replacement pads/spacers and could not find anything to fit in my perches along with the multi leaf spring. It fits perfectly without any kind of pad or spacer the shock mount bolts up tight to the spring perch. I think that only the mono leaf gets any kind of pad/spacer which takes up the room that the multi leaf uses

·
Vendor
94 Posts
Multi Leaf Spring

Looking for a reputable seller for some replacement leaf springs. I have multi leaf now in my 67 coupe but they have sagged over the years. Looking to replace with another set of multis and maybe get rid of these junky traction bars I have. I'm trying not to break the bank too badly. Looking to be around $250-$300.
Churchboysracing does sell a multileaf spring, they are built so that if you are aggressive on takeoff you will not experience wheel hop, thus not needing to purchase traction bars. You can order stock height or a 2" drop spring. Call Chuck Jr. 330-442-7162 or Chuck Sr. 330-442-7169

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My 63 wagon originally came with a mono leaf, I went to a local spring company and they got me a three leaf replacement spring. I looked all over for replacement pads/spacers and could not find anything to fit in my perches along with the multi leaf spring. It fits perfectly without any kind of pad or spacer the shock mount bolts up tight to the spring perch. I think that only the mono leaf gets any kind of pad/spacer which takes up the room that the multi leaf uses

Hmm.. it does fit nicely but I would think that would cause a rough ride or be quite chatty, no?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts