Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched and read many threads but still not sure why im having an issue. My car was freshly painted, ALL the body lines and gaps are perfect. I installed new Softseal door weatherstripping for my 67 and my doors wont shut. I thought maybe its new and keep pressure on the door would help it seal, but no luck. I tried Metro weatherstripping and the same problem. I read a thread that the plastic nipples are only guides and should not be used, any one hear this before? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,500 Posts
I think it is a common issue. I am using Steele and I have ( had) the same issue. I only have the drivers side installed due to space in my garage. I do not have door panels installed so I used a tie down strap and tied from on door to the other and left it. it is much better but still out a bit on the bottom. When I started the door would stay open about 8". I slowly increased the tension until I could close the door. I am thinking for the passengers side I will set the weather stripping in the driveway and let the heat get to it to make it more pliable. I am hoping once the sun beats down on the drivers door it will get better as well.
I asked body man/buddy about this and he says he has the same issue with new vehicles.

·
6,502 Posts
I know on my 68 Chevy II Nova when I put on new weatherstrips from OER the doors really had to be slammed to shut and ended up partially closing them for a while in some midwest heat and they finally conformed and now the doors shut just fine.

I do wonder if on yours if you have not let it sit long enough in hot enough weather to get it to conform or if this is not the issue my next thing I would look at is it possible some inner door work and/or jamb work was done and now in a spot or spots the gap is too small where the weatherstrip would be at sealing against two surfaces ?.

If you still have the old weatherstrip that didn't work, could one cut it up and use sections to possibly see where an issue might be. One might be able to use just the bottom section on the lower edge of the door and then with just that one in place see how the door closes then try other sections in different area's.

As far as the plastic T pins, those are there to hold the weatherstrip in place and while I have yet to work on some of the older Chevy II Nova's, on my 68, my 73's, and 74's those pins were in place on the factory original weatherstrips.

Jim

·
Registered
273 Posts
Very common complaint. As said above, the sun is your friend.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
I think the new replacement stuff is made differently than the original, it seems to be denser. I think the original stuff had more air voids in the rubber, It was spongier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts