Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to buy a set of 28x9 MT slicks and already have a pair of 7 inch Weld wheels.Can you run them on the 7's safely or would you only run them on 8's?

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
8 would be better. 7 will work. minimum recommended rim width for a 28*9*15 m/t is 7.6. you might give M/T a call and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I run mine on 6"s to pull in the sidewall for clearance. I ran a 10.22 136 at 5800' last outing. No screws and no tubes. 7's will be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run mine on 6"s to pull in the sidewall for clearance. I ran a 10.22 136 at 5800' last outing. No screws and no tubes. 7's will be fine.
Thats good to here.I have talked to a MT tech rep. awhile ago and he advised against it but have read and heard of guys getting away with it.Thanks for the reply.Anyone else have any thoughts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thats good to here.I have talked to a MT tech rep. awhile ago and he advised against it but have read and heard of guys getting away with it.Thanks for the reply.Anyone else have any thoughts.
The contact area of the tire is usually not complete when the wheel pulls the sidewall in. I have 14 inch tires on 13 inch wheels and it's hard to get the full width of the tire to make good contact to the track.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I run 7's with that size tire and know of a few in the 9's with 7's and that same size tire. it does get a little scary at the big end sometimes because of extra sidewall flex...

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've run 9"s and 10.5"s on 7" wheels--they work better on wider wheels, but it'll work. You have to run lower pressure to get the tread down on the track which does make for an interesting ride on the big end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts