Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone LONG POST sorry
I usually lurk in the first gen section, but I figured this would be better suited here. I am not a motor head & don't know much about cams.

The 283 in my 65 had gotten tired & started smoking. I took it to an engine builder I have used before & had good luck with.

I told him this was a cruiser with a 283/700r4/3.08 & EFI fuel injection. I never wind it up too tight & didn't want to have to run a high stall converter. Also told him I would rather have low end power rather than high rpm range & I wanted hydraulic lifters. He said he'd fix me up & not to worry.

The motor already had a solid lifter cam of unknown origin. Sounded great at idle, pretty "lumpy" I guess you'd say. It was bored .060 over already. My only issue (other than it smoking) was it was weak from a dead stop & didn't really come on until wayyy faster than I want to drive my Chevy II :)

I picked it up today & asked what cam, pistons, etc he'd used. He wrote down the cam specs on my receipt & said that should be just what I needed.

Heres a summit link to the cam he installed: Melling M-Select Class 3 Camshafts 22301 (I'm 99% sure this is the same cam he put in the 350 I had in my c-10). Melling lists it as a class 3 meaning rough idle & high RPM power range.

I'm running a stock 700r4 from a mid 80s Camaro, stock stall converter. I have a PFI-Sys EFI setup. 3.08 gears with 205/45/17 rear tires. Power Brakes. Motor did not have to be bored any more than the .060 it already was. He used Keith Black flat top pistons.

>>>>My question is: Is this too much cam for my little 283??? <<<<<
Will I have vacuum issues? I already had the idle set to around 850, Will I have to bump that up? Higher stall converter? Is this a good cam for a street cruiser?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yeah, that cam is WAY too big for your setup. What was your builder thinking?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Whoa Nelly thats a big cam for a 293. I'm hoping he just wrote down the wrong part number. That kinda cam belongs in a hot 350 to a moderate 383.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I agree, way too much cam. 15° to 18° too much duration, and too tight lobe separation, fuel injection is not happy with lobe separation less than 112° in most cases because tighter lobe separation negatively effects overlap and vacuum.

That cam grind isn't proprietary to Melling...a bunch of company's offer it, it is an old school grind that has been around for 40 years, sold by bulk cam grinders CMC in Jackson Mi, or CWC in Muskegon, Mi to any retailer who wants to put their name on the box....Elgin, Melling, Speed-Pro, Howards, Summit, Jeg's yada yada yada.
Each brand name juggles the advertised duration checking point a couple of thousandths of an inch so it appears to be a different cam, but when you look at lift, the @.050" duration, and the lobe separation you see it is the same cam.

Bad news for you is....they virtually all list it as 3000-6000 rpm range - in a 350", it is actually going to be something like 3400-6500 rpm in a little 283. Going to be a pretty choppy idle, and it won't like converter stall below 2800 at best and would actually need 3500 stall if you valued performance a lot. Most list it as needing headers and 3.73 or better rear gears in that 350 application....so it needs even more in a smaller motor.

Your machine shop guy really missed the target on this one.

Even if you were building a 350, it is too much cam for the parameters you set forth...stock converter, low rpm performance, fuel injection compatible, enough vacuum for power brakes, only 3.08 rear gear

The only way that cam has any hope of being mild is in a big 383" stroker or 406" small block

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Man that just blows.. How did this cam end up in your engine..? I mean it sounds like you had a clear conversion with the engine builder regarding what you wanted out of the engine. A mild RV cam that improves low end torque is what you should expect to find..

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Man that just blows.. How did this cam end up in your engine..? I mean it sounds like you had a clear conversion with the engine builder regarding what you wanted out of the engine. A mild RV cam that improves low end torque is what you should expect to find..

·
Registered
433 Posts
Youre really looking for a grind in the 210-220 @ .050 range with a lift around .400. Lobe sep should be no less than 112 like was memtioned. preferably 114.

If it were me, I would confirm the cam selection. If its correct, I would ask for a different cam being the one he installed is way out in left field for the intended purpose of the engine. You paid for the engone you requested, not what he gave you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies.
I don't think it was a typo or a clerical error. He hand wrote the part number AND the lift / duration (287/287 .480/.480) on the receipt. Also he mentioned a "480" cam, but I'm not versed in car cams at all, so I did not know what that meant in terms of my motor.

THIS SUCKS. There are very few things that I pay others to do. Building car motors is one of those things. Guess I'll call and make sure there wasn't a mistake & go from there. I have to call anyway because he gave me a standard oil pump not one for a Chevy II.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.
I don't think it was a typo or a clerical error. He hand wrote the part number AND the lift / duration (287/287 .480/.480) on the receipt. Also he mentioned a "480" cam, but I'm not versed in car cams at all, so I did not know what that meant in terms of my motor.

THIS SUCKS. There are very few things that I pay others to do. Building car motors is one of those things. Guess I'll call and make sure there wasn't a mistake & go from there. I have to call anyway because he gave me a standard oil pump not one for a Chevy II.
Comp Cams L79 plus is a great cam for a small block. My buddy put one in his 4 speed 64 malibu and I have one in my Nova. Great low and mid range and has a nice lope. Not to radical but you can hear it. Very drivable. But not sure the vacuum issue with the automatic.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,536 Posts
I agree with the others... way too much cam for your car's engine + drive train set-up (stock converter, overdrive, 3.08 gears) AND your specified goals.

If it were me, I would request the builder to change the cam to a much milder version before the engine is started. If the engine has not been started yet, it is only a cam change. Once you start this engine for the first time, it will require changing the cam and lifters (plus oil, oil filter, and any lost coolant).

If you decide that you are going to have the engine builder change the cam, contact some cam companies ask for some recommendations (or get some from SNS members).

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
as long as the talk is about cams can i ask about this cam that is in my 327. i like how it runs an maybe this is one for the 283 in question.

i think i saw this in print.........Lobe sep should be no less than 112 like was memtioned. preferably 114
an my cam is at 110.

Reactions: CEW

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I was looking at the cam below. Lobe separation of 112.
Comp Cams page on this cam adds a note about this cam being used in 1987-1998 engines... maybe because this cam is specified for TPI (tuned-port fuel injection), but further down on the same page it states this.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hello everyone LONG POST sorry
I usually lurk in the first gen section, but I figured this would be better suited here. I am not a motor head & don't know much about cams.

The 283 in my 65 had gotten tired & started smoking. I took it to an engine builder I have used before & had good luck with.

I told him this was a cruiser with a 283/700r4/3.08 & EFI fuel injection. I never wind it up too tight & didn't want to have to run a high stall converter. Also told him I would rather have low end power rather than high rpm range & I wanted hydraulic lifters. He said he'd fix me up & not to worry.

The motor already had a solid lifter cam of unknown origin. Sounded great at idle, pretty "lumpy" I guess you'd say. It was bored .060 over already. My only issue (other than it smoking) was it was weak from a dead stop & didn't really come on until wayyy faster than I want to drive my Chevy II :)

I picked it up today & asked what cam, pistons, etc he'd used. He wrote down the cam specs on my receipt & said that should be just what I needed.

Heres a summit link to the cam he installed: Melling M-Select Class 3 Camshafts 22301 (I'm 99% sure this is the same cam he put in the 350 I had in my c-10). Melling lists it as a class 3 meaning rough idle & high RPM power range.

I'm running a stock 700r4 from a mid 80s Camaro, stock stall converter. I have a PFI-Sys EFI setup. 3.08 gears with 205/45/17 rear tires. Power Brakes. Motor did not have to be bored any more than the .060 it already was. He used Keith Black flat top pistons.

Will I have vacuum issues? I already had the idle set to around 850, Will I have to bump that up? Higher stall converter? Is this a good cam for a street cruiser?
Ditto what L79Novas said. L79 (GM 151) Comp Cams equivalent would be a great little cam for your engine. No rough idle with good low-end torque and mid-range performance.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talked to the fuel injection guy; He recommended summit 1101 cam for my driving needs. Since my engine builder uses Melling I crossed it from their cam list & found 22111 which is the exact same specs.

I called the builder & he said he would order it & be glad to swap it out while I wait on Tuesday. 😃 He stood by his original cam choice, but said he wanted me to have the cam that I wanted. He kept saying I was gonna miss that "sound", but I'd rather have it tuneable & well manored for my cruiser, than hard thumping & going nowhere.

I'm getting a new chip burned for my EFI so it will be acting right during break in. Hopefully it will be back on the street again soon.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Glad to hear that you were able to swap the larger duration cam for one that suited your specific goals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts