Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 Nova 283 that I may someday decide to use. If I decide to go with the V-8, I think I would rather beef it up some. Does anyone have experience punching a 283 to 4' bore? Seems like it could be done; but I think I have heard that the casting might be too thin. I would hate to find out that I ruined the block doing that. I know the old 283's aren't all that desirable but a true nova block with the recessed oil filter mounting is getting hard to find.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
That's .125 over. In the 60's, hotrodders used to make 301's going an 1/8th over and using the factory crank (Chevy called them 302's). I'd definately get the block sonic checked before boring that far. It's probably too much. Just get a 350 or 400 and go from there.

Kev

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
novaboy009 said:
That's .125 over. In the 60's, hotrodders used to make 301's going an 1/8th over and using the factory crank (Chevy called them 302's). I'd definately get the block sonic checked before boring that far. It's probably too much. Just get a 350 or 400 and go from there.

Kev
ummmmmm...I'm pretty sure .125" and a 1/8 of an inch are the exact same thing;)

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
69NovaSS said:
ummmmmm...I'm pretty sure .125" and a 1/8 of an inch are the exact same thing;)
Greetings,

To quote a famous presidential skit..."I thought there would be no math here..." LOL

Jason

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hi,

I have a 283 block bored to 4 inches in my nova now. Its been in there since about 78 and I have run it very hard. Its an 11 to 1 327, L79 style with a bigger cam (solids) and a z intake.

I have bored several of these over the years .125". Knock on wood, no problems. I have even raced a few 307 blocks that I bored to 4 inches. Probably not the thing to do though.

I prefer (for customers at least) on the early nova blocks, if you decide to use a 327 crank to go .060" over and use 307 pistons. Its about 317 cid and I don't think it would be easy to spot the missing cubes in average circumstances. Its probable more dependable.

Good Luck

Jeff

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I was saying that it has been done before, but it's ancient technology, that's all. I am very well aware that .125 and 1/8th are the same. My math skills aren't as bad as the presidents!

Kev

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
novaboy009 said:
My math skills aren't as bad as the presidents!
being able to add is not part of their job description:D

Sorry I thought you were saying .125" was a lot but that they used to back in the day bore 1/8 over....my bad:eek:

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
When I was a kid if you had a bad SBC is was a 301 and everyone fast had them. I don't recall anyone hitting water or running real hot from the over bore. The engines had steel cranks but they also were small journals so spinning bearings was a problem. Use to use pistons that weighed a ton and the heads were never much good cause we had no good heads.......LOL. 4-11 gear with welded spiders, recapped cheater slicks and a 3 speed on the floor.......LOL. Of coarse everyone also used an old GM ,008/.012 cam if memory serves me. AFB carb on a cast iron intake, 3 twos or dual quads with shorty type headman headers. Finally in 1962 GM came out with the 327 and with them some good heads and the .012/.018 then .030/.030 GM cams. If this 283 is a small journal I'd just use it as a stocker because like they said earlier, they are getting hard to find. JMHO, RM

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I run a 301 in my '55 chevy and never had a heating problem. Even rebuilt it used a glaze breaker to put a cross-hatch back in the cylinder walls and just run the heck out of it. With 2.02 heads, 11.5 to 1 compression, double valve springs and the Z28 option cam. I will say this, it did rev, but it had to with a heavy car and 4.56 gears.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good input

Sounds like a few of you have made this work. I would like to build an L-79 type motor for the car. Drag raced one of those yeas ago and it was fantastic. Guess I can't completly give up on the restoration idea. There is a lot of nostalgia in my original Nova. I know you could make it much hotter with new crate motors and subframes but I am not ready to make it a pro touring car or a full on darg car. I'll find a good shop to check out the block before we make the cylinders larger.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Here's a tip:
Boring 1/8" will cost you more than boring .030" because they can't do it in one pass.
Buy a 350 block for $75-100. It's already 4" bore. Bore it .030" and put in a 327 or 307 crank. For even more power use a 350 crank. For even more power than that buy a 383 crank (about the same price these days as a new 350 crank). Now you are up 100 cubic inches and the engine will make burnt toast out of any 1/8" over 283.

283's and 383's weigh the same and take up the same room. There's a 100 good reasons that 383's are more popular than 283's. I grew up in the sixties and so to paraphrase another presidential debate: " a 283 is no John F. Kennedy"

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Paul Wright said:
283's and 383's weigh the same and take up the same room.
and basicly they look the same too so very few people will be able to tell the difference...so you can badge/dress it like a 283/302/327 and still have the extra 100 cubes (give or take) ;)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Stroke it out to 383 and use vintage speed parts up top with 302 or 327 decals. No one will ever know the difference and you can continue to spread the myth of the "big block beating 302."

Kev

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hi,

Just my opinion here but not everybody wants 383 or a 350 for that matter.

That's why I have a 327 in my nova. I could just as easily have a 400 or bigger in it. My 69 Z/28 has a 302. Its not the original motor but its a 302 (actually a 310). I have 92 RS camaro that my daughter and I play around with. Its usually a 350 based engine with a BW super T10, and a 4.10 axle. If someone gave me a 383 I wouldn't put it in there. What I want is basically what I want. Just because a 383 weighs the same as 283 (in my opinion) doesnt make them the Ideal choice for a Nova project.

On a technical note. There might not be enough room in the crankcase to clear a stroke much larger than the 3.25. I general, 65 was the first full year to use a cast 283 crank, that block will usually accept the 327 crank. The earlier 283s had forged cranks with smaller counterweights and a 327 crank, or a cast 283 will usually not clear without some grinding.

I and a lot of my customers still get a lot of satisfaction out oh being a little less main stream, and getting a lot out of what you have. Kinda like being skillful.

I friend of mine always bugs me about my love class racing, especially stock and super stock. He has a faster class bracket car ( Super Comp) . My reply to him is that I appreciate the results achieved with in a given set of rules. Kinda like getting a grade on performance, that to me equates to skill and ability. His car is fast, but not as fast as I would want it with 500 plus inches. Im more interested in that 85 camaro stocker that runs 11.20s or faster with a Qjet. To me that is much more impressive.

It all about individuality, and common sense.

Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts