Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pull the last two hairs I have in my head out. I have a 75 Nova that originally had a 350 in it then someone pulled it and put a 250 six cylinder in it. Now I own it and want to install a built 283 and cannot find the motor mount bracket for the frame that will match up with the mount on the motor. The one for the six is way to big for the mount on the block. Any help would really be appreciated.

Larry at Papas Nova

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I already told you what to do here:
V-8 Mount problem
Sounds like you are still trying to mix old style mounts with new style. Don't use the 283 rubber block mount!

Use a seventies 350/305 all steel "clamshell" engine mount and the rubber frame mount from a 305 or 350 4th gen Nova. The RUBBER frame mount you can buy new at the parts store. Say: " I need a pair of motor mounts for a 78 305 Nova, please".
Bolt these to the frame in the appropriate holes.
The clamshell mounts are common as dirt in the junkyard. 70's Caprices, Novas, Malibu's, Camaro's, Pickups...just about anything with a Chevy SBC except a Monza. Tell the junkyard you need a pair of 305 or 350 Chevy engine mount brackets that will fit your 4th gen Nova. Bolt these to the engine. Make sure you get the long cross bolts at the bone yard too.

If you are having this much trouble with standard engine mounts then your going to have trouble with engine brackets because the 283 heads don't have accessory holes. You'll have to use old style brackets and pullies with the short water pump. That means the fan won't fit the shroud. If you switch to a long water pump then the fan will fit but the pullies won't align.

I'm not sure it's worth the headaches to install a little 283. The fuel economy will be less than the six and the power will be less than than you think.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
Larry to install a V8 you will need to buy the metal bracket that bolts to the block, it is on the right in the photo, GM part number 10213125 available from GM parts direct for less than $20 each or can be purchased at any Chevy dealer for around $35. You will also need the rubber mount that bolts to the frame. These are available from any parts store under various part numbers. The ones in the photo are Parts Plus brand part number EM-2292. I do not remember what I paid for them. The 283 has some drawbacks when used in late model cars, as Paul pointed out, but if you just want to get it on the road it is a good motor for a start and the mounts will work with any Chevy V8 in the future including a big block. I have the power steering brackets from a 1965 283 if you need them to get your power steering pump installed.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
motor mount brackets

Thanks Philip. Great information. I just got two of the #102131125 mount brackets from Classic Chev and now am trying to find the EM2292. Sure I could probably use the PS brackets. Contact me at [email protected]om

Thanks
Larry at Papas Nova

Philip said:
Larry to install a V8 you will need to buy the metal bracket that bolts to the block, it is on the right in the photo, GM part number 10213125 available from GM parts direct for less than $20 each or can be purchased at any Chevy dealer for around $35. You will also need the rubber mount that bolts to the frame. These are available from any parts store under various part numbers. The ones in the photo are Parts Plus brand part number EM-2292. I do not remember what I paid for them. The 283 has some drawbacks when used in late model cars, as Paul pointed out, but if you just want to get it on the road it is a good motor for a start and the mounts will work with any Chevy V8 in the future including a big block. I have the power steering brackets from a 1965 283 if you need them to get your power steering pump installed.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SBC motor mount question...

Thanks Mr. Wright but your rudeness is only surpassed by lack of patience. So I am exiting stage left from this forum. Don't need your kind of help.

Larry at Papas Nova

PS Thanks Philip for your great information and assistance.

Paul Wright said:
I already told you what to do here:
V-8 Mount problem
Sounds like you are still trying to mix old style mounts with new style. Don't use the 283 rubber block mount!

Use a seventies 350/305 all steel "clamshell" engine mount and the rubber frame mount from a 305 or 350 4th gen Nova. The RUBBER frame mount you can buy new at the parts store. Say: " I need a pair of motor mounts for a 78 305 Nova, please".
Bolt these to the frame in the appropriate holes.
The clamshell mounts are common as dirt in the junkyard. 70's Caprices, Novas, Malibu's, Camaro's, Pickups...just about anything with a Chevy SBC except a Monza. Tell the junkyard you need a pair of 305 or 350 Chevy engine mount brackets that will fit your 4th gen Nova. Bolt these to the engine. Make sure you get the long cross bolts at the bone yard too.

If you are having this much trouble with standard engine mounts then your going to have trouble with engine brackets because the 283 heads don't have accessory holes. You'll have to use old style brackets and pullies with the short water pump. That means the fan won't fit the shroud. If you switch to a long water pump then the fan will fit but the pullies won't align.

I'm not sure it's worth the headaches to install a little 283. The fuel economy will be less than the six and the power will be less than than you think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts