Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 SS with a 283 bored 60 over and I currently have a couple issues...
1) Gas in the oil- I have also noticed my fuel pump is wet around the top of it. Is this a sign that the gas could be getting in this way?
2) Oil leak in front and back of engine. It has been about 10 years since I replaced the oil pan gasket but the car only has a couple thousand miles on the engine. Does the cork have a shelf life of about 10 years before it breaks down?

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
gas in oil...leaks

Sounds like the fuel pump is leaking internally and getting into your oil pan....change the pump, change the oil and filter and you should be good to go. I guess there is a remote possibility that the carb is screwed up and dumping raw gas...but the pump is the normal cure.

As for the oil leaks....best bet is to clean the engine really good so you can see exctly where the leak is coming from...could be valve covers, intake manifold, timing cover, oil pan....if the leak is hard to spot you can add some dye to the oil which will show you the way. Don't start over tightening bolts....look for the easy spots first like valve covers. Good luck...

wilma

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
the good ol fashion cork gaskets tend to get brittle after a couple years i dont use them i use the neoprene over steel shim type. if this is a driver you may begetting gas in your oil from your pcv valve remember this is going from your valve cover ( oil blow by ) and going back into you carb ( intake charge ) maybe when you shut off your motor a little gas is finding its way down into the cylinder and getting in your oil there which means your intake valve isnt seating all the way ( worn springs ) or valve seals :yes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts