Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 ss with a 283 in it. The prior owner said that the motor came out of a 65 but when I look up front block code from the passenger side its not even close.
Code reads F02I2GF I found that the first F is for flint but the rest of the code is all over the place. The markers on the front of the heads show that they are power pack heads. Did someone make an aftermarket block back in the day?

·
13,690 Posts
The 02 is February and 12 is the day, but there is nothing in these suffix codes to tell you the year. The only GF code I can find is a 195 HP/283 with powerglide used in full size Chevrolets from 1965 - 1967. If you can get the block casting number it might lead to more info.

Bob

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
My Chevy master parts catalog seconds what Bob indicates. Base model 283 application in the full size cars.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
The prior owner said that the motor came out of a 65 but when I look up front block code from the passenger side its not even close. Code reads F02I2GF
If you could answer a few questions, it might help us...
1. Does the car have an automatic transmission or a manual?
2. Does the oil filter spin on, or is it in a metal canister with a bolt through the middle?
3. If it spins on, is it 'recessed' up into the block, or is there an 'adapter' between the top of the filter and the engine block?

This will get us started, but, as CdnL79 Registry noted, a casting number would really help. This number is located on the back of the block, just below the back of the driver's side head. You'll have to look down between the back of the valve cover and the firewall. Use a flashlight - even in sunlight, it's hard to see down there! The number you're looking for should have 7 digits. It will look something like this (although this one is a 283 out of a '65 Chevelle...).

·
Registered
113 Posts
The engine code as noted by Bob is for a 65 to 67 283, did the seller say it was from a Chevy II/Nova or just a 65 vehicle? The 65-67 283s are all about the same in HP(195 or 220), torque, and components, such as cams, head, intakes, carbs, no matter which vehicle they were in unless it was something special such as a vette. Chevy II/Nova 283 casting should end in 194 for 1965 and the oil filter should be recessed up into the block 1”

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I have a 63 ss with a 283 in it. The prior owner said that the motor came out of a 65 but when I look up front block code from the passenger side its not even close.
Code reads F02I2GF I found that the first F is for flint but the rest of the code is all over the place. The markers on the front of the heads show that they are power pack heads. Did someone make an aftermarket block back in the day?
1965 with Powerglide and 2 barrel carb..full size Chevrolet ..

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a 65 four door with a 283 from the factory. My friend an engine rebuilder said the 283 in novas had a special oil filter configuration to clear the steering box. He thinks they are highly sought after engines. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Super Moderator
3,834 Posts
The '64-'67 Chevy II and Nova 283s and 327's are different at the oil filter boss. Other Chevrolet small blocks of the era have the oil filter boss level with the line where the pan mates to the bottom of the block, but Chevy II blocks have the boss recessed upward about 3 inches or so. The clearance on the steering box is just fine; the filter is recessed to clear the clutch linkage.

I think Nova 283's have value, but I prefer original cars. If you want to keep your '65 as original as you can, you might look for a '65 date coded 283. I don't know if there are accurate numbers for '65 Chevy II/Nova produced with V-8, but I have to guess that there are probably between 10,000-25,000 produced for that year at least. Even with attrition, Nova 283's are still readily available.

327's not so much. Significantly fewer were produced, and many were raced. In the case of a V-8 car coming from the the factory with a power glide transmission, rebuilding the original engine or just about any other small block Chevy from that era would not pose an installation problem, so many of these engines were just exchanged or swapped at some time. Rebuildable 327 Nova blocks, especially ones with manual transmission stampings, are sought after.

·
Registered
555 Posts
That is a very good explanation thank you, I understand it now. My 283 is the original engine as far as I know.It almost was put in another car before I got it,I plan to keep it original.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hi there Dan , I sure hope you are having a good New year. I have both a complete 283 & a ( 67 ) 327 engines . Now, I'll have to go & look at the blocks .
Maybe not for a Nova , but it's worth looking .

Dan, also glad to see u'r still posting . . . . . how u liking this new SNS look ? I . . am finding it easier to use - the more I post .

later . . . . . jim . . . . . in th' Dark mode .

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks Jim, I will be posting for many years I have a number of chevy 2s to work on,appreciate everyone here

·
Registered
113 Posts
There are only 3 or 4 casting numbers that were used for the Chevy II V8 blocks and if i remember correctly prior to 66 one casting was used for both 283 and 327 check the casting number they will help verify it is a Chevy II block

·
Registered
990 Posts
Casting #194 was a 283. #362 is a 327. #721 could be either. My engine builder has bored several casting # 194 (283ci) blocks to 4" bores making them into 327ci without any problems. All the chevy II v8 blocks were thick according to my guy but who knows.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have had my 194 block checked, it is standard bore but not thick enough to be bored .125 to 4”. it was cast in November of 1965, it is in my 1966 4dr which was assembled in December of 1965. Early 194 blocks may be able to be bored to 4” but later ones that had the cast cranks (65-67) were cast with thinner walls, I believe to lighten the block just like they started using cast cranks which are lighter than forged ones And cheaper to manufacture. Mine does need to be bored and has a cast crank. I am replacing cast crank with forge 327 crank, this can be done only if your block has the cast crank or was cast with the bottom of the cylinders scalloped for the cast crank. Also having it bored 0.030 over and using 307 pistons to get a 311cu in motor. Hoping to get 360hp out of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey there DBV

Finding 307 pistons with the correct compression height will be a long and possibly unfruitful search. You’d need 1.675” compression height putting your pistons ideally at .025” beneath the block deck.

I ended up having the pistons manufactured in the US and sent to the other end of the world here, Western Australia. Or alternatively as others have done, the block gets decked .025” as many of the aftermarket pistons place the crown at .050” down the hole. You’ll need binoculars to see the piston at TDC. That’s a big reduction in compression and loss of effective quench.

Wow man, please keep us in the know if you crack 360hp. That would certainly silence a few three O haters.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am having the block and heads decked so piston height wont be a problem. Super Chevy and Hot Rod both did 305 builds, hot rod got 325 out of theirs without power adders such as nitro or super/turbo chargers. 283/307 have a larger bore (3.875 vs 3.765) also it’s being bored to 3.905, so 360hp out of a 311ci (bored and stroked 283) is feasible. 1.15 hp per cube, people do that with 350s all day long.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts