Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a long shot, but I would like some info from anyone running 275/60r15 rear tires on a 15X8 rim with 5.5 back space along with Competition Engineering J-bolt traction slapper bars.

My rear end is done. Rebuilt 10 bolt with a Trutrac unit, 373 gears, new mono leafs and so on...

I don't have the rims and tires yet, but thats the size I want to run.

My question is this, did you have to cut off the front J bolt bracket to clear the tire and run regular U bolts or did it clear?

I want planning on just cutting it off now in preparation. However, I would rather run the J bolts.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continued. I guess I just want to button up this rear end now and move in to the brakes, rims, and tires without having to go back later and have to cut off the bracket and convert to U bolt. I would rather get it out of the way now, but only if I have to.

Thank you very much in advance guys.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Well, I have a 71 with CE traction bars on it, stock width rear end. I run 15x8 wheels with 5" of back spacing and a 255/60-15 tire. Everything clear that set up just fine. I also have 1 1/2 lowering springs in back. Going to a 5.5 backspacing would definitely need some trimming on the traction bar mounts. Not really sure if a 275 would fit in the wheel well with that much backspacing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info man. I watched a few youtube videos where a few Nova owners experimented and came up with that formula. Take a look and tell me what you think. I searched 275/60r15 Nova.

Do you think the 275/60r15 will hit the inner wheel well with an 8 inch wide rim and 275?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on your experience, what would be the best tire/rim size combo for a tough wide looking rear tire that fits all in the wheel well without have to do the dreaded jacking up the rear and popping the wheels out the side?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
A 275/60-15 will fit in the wheel well. Its tight and backspacing has to be perfect. If the car is lowered it makes it a little harder to fit. But with the 275 you may lose the J bolt brackets on the traction bar. You will probably end up with a 5.5 backspacing wheel and possibly need 1/4" spacers. On mine, my 255's are close to the wheel lip and the shock, but like I said, my car is lowered. I was going to run a 275, but couldnt find wheels I wanted with the backspacing I wanted.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The hard past is that I have never seen a rear end that's actually centered in a leaf spring GM car. They are always shifted a little to one side or another. That's why you have to play around with them. When I had my 69 Camaro, one wheel I ran fit perfect and the other needed a 1/4" spacer so it fit like the other side did. I would suggest measuring carefully off of what you have now and start crunching numbers for your particular car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts