Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most all wheel/tire combo threads I have read said that you could run a 255/60/15 rear tire with 4.5" backspacing. I was wondering if you could fit that tire size on a 15x7 wheel with only 4", 4.125" or 4.25" of backspacing?:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply I wasn't for sure. However, will a 15x8 wheel with 5" of backspace work with a 255/60/15 without making modifications of should I go with 5.5" of backspace? Will this much backspacing cause problems with the lower shock mounts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The wheel I am looking at is available with 5" of backspace. However, would a 15x8 wheel with 5" of backspace and a 255/60/15 tire fit without relocating the shocks?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Not sure this helps since you are now considering the 8" wheel but this is a 15 x 7 with a 255/60-15 4.5" backspacing. I could have gotten away with 4" backspacing.

Question: If the tires size you want works with the 7" wheel, what is the advantage of going with an 8" wheel??
Good question :clap: A wider rim spreads the rubber out more giving the tire more surface contact to the road thus creating better traction. Also stiffens the sidewalls increasing handling performance and lessening roll. Hope this makes sense. :)

·
3,928 Posts
Here is my car with 275/60/15's on 15x7 Cragar with 4.25" backspacing. They would rub on one side when I went into driveways. Super tucked in though.

Not the best picture but these are 255/60/15 drag radials on 15x8's with 5.5 inches of backspacing. As you can tell I like the back end lowered over the tire. This does not rub at all, but I did have to remove the upper shock covers to clear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure this helps since you are now considering the 8" wheel but this is a 15 x 7 with a 255/60-15 4.5" backspacing. I could have gotten away with 4" backspacing.

Question: If the tires size you want works with the 7" wheel, what is the advantage of going with an 8" wheel??
Thank you this picture does help. The reason I was considering the 8" wheel is that the 8" wheel is offered with 5" backspace if I custom order it. However I am fairly sure that I would be able to sneak the 255 in there on a 7 inch wheel with 4.125" backspace. By the way your car looks amazing. Hopefully, my car will look that nice when it is done.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
However I am fairly sure that I would be able to sneak the 255 in there on a 7 inch wheel with 4.125" backspace. By the way your car looks amazing. Hopefully, my car will look that nice when it is done.
If I could do it over, I would go for the 4.125" backspacing. It would fit no problem. But as you know, for some strange reason, what works on mine may not work on yours. I would say you could go with the 4.125 or play it safe like I did and go 4 1/2. Also, The wheel vintiques I got are made in our country. Or at least the box is :D, All of the chrome ralleys from classic, generic summit, etc are all overseas. I have no issue with a global economy but I do have an issue with quality. These wheels are awesome and one of them did not even need additional weights for balance!

Thanks for the comment about my car. I have about 5 years of blood sweat and tears into this....so many people seeing it in a million pieces, doubting it would ever get done. Just taking a 10 minute cruise around town now is extremely gratifying. The hard work and persistence pays off.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Good question :clap: A wider rim spreads the rubber out more giving the tire more surface contact to the road thus creating better traction. Also stiffens the sidewalls increasing handling performance and lessening roll. Hope this makes sense. :)
Crystal clear, makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts