Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'd like to put a manual behind by 250 inline six. It's currently got an automatic, not sure exactly which model. What are my options? I'd greatly prefer a floor shifter.

·
Registered
593 Posts
depends on what cost/effort you are ok with
going to a muncie M20 is an option, but getting low enough 1st, and not too high rpm at cruise, is always an issue with low torque, low rpm motor
or going to a 5 speed is more work but solves the above issues

I have a 250 with around 250 ft-lbs hooked to a muncie, with 3.08 rear, I would not want higher gearing in first but then I'm at 3000 at 70mph
3000 doesn't seem high but for a 5500 red line its up there
the 250 and muncie is great on roads where I'm top speed of 50 to 55 range

some day I'll probably go to TKX

I do have a TKX for the car I'm putting a 5.3 in, with a 3.50 rear
with the TKX I'm quite a bit lower in 1st than the muncie and still should be around 2200 at 70 in 5th

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
depends on what cost/effort you are ok with
going to a muncie M20 is an option, but getting low enough 1st, and not too high rpm at cruise, is always an issue with low torque, low rpm motor
or going to a 5 speed is more work but solves the above issues

I have a 250 with around 250 ft-lbs hooked to a muncie, with 3.08 rear, I would not want higher gearing in first but then I'm at 3000 at 70mph
3000 doesn't seem high but for a 5500 red line its up there
the 250 and muncie is great on roads where I'm top speed of 50 to 55 range

some day I'll probably go to TKX

I do have a TKX for the car I'm putting a 5.3 in, with a 3.50 rear
with the TKX I'm quite a bit lower in 1st than the muncie and still should be around 2200 at 70 in 5th
I'm mainly looking for the easiest way to go about it. Are there any transmissions that bolt right up to the 250 and require minimal changes to anything else?
Would one of those 3-speeds that originally came with these cars work? I would have to convert it to a floor shifter, I can't see myself trying to operate a column shifter.

(I'm a total noob to building cars, I only did motorcycles for my whole life and most mods are bike-specific and bolt right on, I apologize if these are dumb questions lol. I usually go onto a website and input the make/model/year of the bike and it gives me a list of pretty much every mod I would ever need, with 100% guarantee it fits)

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,836 Posts
Hi straightsixnovaclone .....................

You are asking about which "standard shift Transmission" would work in your car . . . . . ?

My question is : Is this in your - - - 71 "Ventura" car . . . ?

It shouldn't matter (Nova or Ventura) ........................ they both are " X - Body " cars . My 69 Nova 'WAS
a Stock P/G trans ; and , I wanted a " stick shift tranny = for years " !
My p/g did work very good , and I liked it (for the most part) .............................. I just wanted too
shift - gears .

So ......... here's what I suggest too my L 6 'friends' ..................... start looking around = FB ; C/L ; car
buddys , ect .
I would find used trans ............ like just after someone had sold them (2 days before ; or ; a week before . . . , then they , got sold) .
Of course , I always thought of the 'Muncies' , and looked around = alot .
I have had a cast iron Saginaw 4 sp , for a long time (but , no shifter) ............................... then , thought that
........ well ........ my car is only a 250 motor , anyway ............... so , just use the Saginaw trans , and be done .
Even one night at my "cruise - night " - I'm talking too another Chevy owner ................ He then tells me his
Uncle has a 4sp trans for sell (about 3 blocks from where we were standing) . I ask if he could call his
friend (Uncle) ; and could we check things out .
Yes , I did buy that , (another) complete trans . . . & with a Hurst shifter = another Saginaw trans .
O K - I'm happy again ..........................

Then several more years of "dreaming & buying all my "clutch change-over parts" , I'm good .
I go out & 'find my bellhousing & look for other parts' that I will need . I go and buy my clutch kit & parts .
you get the picture ............

Then , another SNS Member (xten57) ; says to me : Why don't you install a T 5 transmission .............
and , have the O.D. advantage of 'over-drive' .
That's when I REALLY Started looking .............. (too buy another type of trans) . That day I started my
search for the "transmission , that I'm using today"

go over and read this info , (the complete post has very good - 250 engine & parts - info) . . . .
Transmission - - T 5 info - - starts on post # 28 (cesarserrsto) :

inline 6 4 bbl setup | Page 2 | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)

note = by far the best "improvement I've done too my car / 250 L 6 engine" :
# 1 - - installing my (new) Holley 390 - 4bbl carb .
# 2 - - and , installing my T 5 5speed transmission . (installed in : March 2018 , 1st drive .)

note = I do have part numbers & install pictures (in a 3rd gen car) .

ps = straightsixnova ................ where do you live ........... city & state , just checking .

. . . later ,
jim

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
What yr are your talking about? Anyway I went from a PG to a 3 speed saginaw then a 4speed Saginaw Then to my Muncie, Now I am on a look out for a T10 with a 2.88 first gear anything lower in my case I'll Brake it. But they do have one with a 3.11 first gear.
But you will need to find the Right Z Bar for your App. and the clutch & brake pedal assembly. Bell housing and clutch fork and the adjustment rod.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What yr are your talking about? Anyway I went from a PG to a 3 speed saginaw then a 4speed Saginaw Then to my Muncie, Now I am on a look out for a T10 with a 2.88 first gear anything lower in my case I'll Brake it. But they do have one with a 3.11 first gear.
But you will need to find the Right Z Bar for your App. and the clutch & brake pedal assembly. Bell housing and clutch fork and the adjustment rod.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have owned my '71 Nova since it was brand new, and it is equipped with the 250 CID inline 6 and Saginaw 3 speed manual transmission (column shift). It was my daily driver for many years, and when I bought it, I wanted a car that was relatively thrifty & fuel efficient for its day. I was not particularly interested in power and speed - nor speeding tickets and high insurance rates either! I drive fairly conservatively, and I do not abuse my engine or transmission. I have no interest in "neutral drops" or burning rubber.

I don't know what your budget is, but if I were embarking on a switch from PG to manual transmission with floor shifter, I would seriously consider doing what Twinshadows has done. I don't think that you would be satisfied with the 3 speed Saginaw's performance. Keep in mind the Saginaw 3 speed is a fairly light duty transmission.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I've driven Jim's (Twin Shadows) Nova with the T-5 transmission. It's a very nice, simple set up. It works very well and can be done on a pretty modest budget. I think it's worth consideration.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,836 Posts
..................... ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ...................

Thanks , Gerry ........................... I do like this "Borg - Warner T 5 trans" ; very much .

so , straightsixnovaclone ..................... I'd also say - - - check out that New TKX ( 5speed ) at several
vendors ( I think also at Church Boys Racing = who are Vendors , here on SNS = plus , they ARE Nova
guys) .
This New TKX ............... was not available(when , I did my install) .
But , with this you do get a New Tranny (and a 'warranty' ) , that could be 'peace of mind' ) .
Meaning , if you Do Find a B/W T 5 5speed ................ what shape will it be in : needing an "overhaul" . ?
Or - wrong 'gearing' ............. ?

I'm just saying . . . . "it cost nothing = too shop around" , plus , the TKX would last forever ; even if going
to a V-8 swap , later on . (save u'r money = & buy one & done ) .

Also , I do all my 'own work' too my Nova , and 'know / knew' just what was "involved" too do my
change - over. - - - - - FYI = my used T 5 , was in very good shape (inside & outside) ......................
BUT , I also Did Rebuild my tranny , before my install (including buying 2 new gears) ; plus installing a
"complete Rebuild Kit , (with all new 'bearings & races' and all new ' Synchro Rings ' ) .
....................plus , i own my shop (including a good shop & correct tools) ...............

Just something too think about ...............

later . . . . jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts