Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m refreshing a 67 Chevy II Nova that’s been in my family for almost 35 years. Just replaced the whole fuel system but the carb isn’t letting in fuel so I’m assuming there’s a blockage somewhere. When I crack the nut where the built in fuel filter in, the fuel pressure comes out of there and the carb is dry so that’s why I’m assuming there’s a blockage somewhere. Any help with things to check? I pulled the carb took the top half off to see if I could find anything noticeable but I don’t see much.

·
Registered
1963 Chevy II 2 door hardtop
70 Posts
i would check the needle movement as you move the floats up and down. Obviously the needle should move away from the seat as the floats drop.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Looks like a bit of alcohol fuel in there from the white deposits... I'm with @Matti777 on the needle/seat float issue. Looks like the needle and seat are toast. Keep in mind, if you pry them apart, after sitting for a very long time stuck like that, they may not re-seat and keep fuel from flowing once the floats reach the top of the bowl. Could cause fuel to pour into the carb and then into the intake... rebuild kits for those old 1-barrels are cheap as can be. Just clean everything well and let it soak in cleaner for a good long while before reassembling it.

Easy breezy!!

~Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome guys. Thanks for quick responses. Does this kit seem to include everything? Looks like there’s a few variations of this kit but I’m trying to match that top gasket that goes around the floats assuming the rest of the kit will be accurate.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
For $17+ you can't go wrong. Looks like everything you need. These kits usually contain multiple variations of the gaskets so it's a one-kit-fits many. Just be sure to match up your top and bowl gaskets to the new ones. Sometimes the dies don't punch the holes out completely so make sure all the chads are cut off all the way before assembly or you could have fuel issues due to blockage. Be gentle with the brass on the cast alum body too. Take your time and follow the float adjustment directions carefully. Plenty of good youtube vids on the rebuild. Use compressed air for all the ports and holes/jet/tubes but WEAR SAFETY GLASSES especially if you use carb cleaner in them... It'll surprise the F outta ya and get you right square in the ol' eyeballerz!! Ask me how I know... 🤓

1 - 6 of 6 Posts