Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently got my cylinder head back and i started tearing into the old inline, I've taken plenty of pictures, but I started noticing some things that might cause problems when i put the new setup in (offey intake, stovebolt headers, 4bbl carb) things like the power steering pump bolted on to the exhaust manifold, and now there wont be a place to attach the pump to, besides the bracket from the engine... there were a few hoses that came from the passenger side of the block one went into carb, but the other went into the exhaust manifold, and with the headers i cant hook that hose back up, so do i plug off the hoses on the passenger side of the block? little things like that just got me worried, so i was hoping that anyone here could post up some pictures of their inlines that have headers or just a similar setup so i can figure out what i can do to make sure this things gets up and running like it should!!!
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Hey guys I recently got my cylinder head back and i started tearing into the old inline, I've taken plenty of pictures, but I started noticing some things that might cause problems when i put the new setup in (offey intake, stovebolt headers, 4bbl carb) things like the power steering pump bolted on to the exhaust manifold, and now there wont be a place to attach the pump to, besides the bracket from the engine... there were a few hoses that came from the passenger side of the block one went into carb, but the other went into the exhaust manifold, and with the headers i cant hook that hose back up, so do i plug off the hoses on the passenger side of the block? little things like that just got me worried, so i was hoping that anyone here could post up some pictures of their inlines that have headers or just a similar setup so i can figure out what i can do to make sure this things gets up and running like it should!!!
Thanks guys!

Are you running an earlier model inline, or the later model integral head 250?
I noticed your car, should have the later model 250. The earlier models didn't have any hoses running to the exhaust manifold so I couldn't help you with that.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the original 78 250... I noticed in most pictures of inlines that have had mods to them seem to be early model inlines, and they dont even have a power steering pump! So no help there :( but I was gonna ask you directly Sgtsteve since you have the 4bbl and intake, but i forgot you went with the 292 exhaust manifold.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
yeah I used a 292 exhaust manifold, to tell you the truth I never knew there was an offenhauser intake available for the later inlines since the intake is part of the head?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah maybe I should have cleared that part up. I bought a pre 75 head from Rock Auto months back, shipped it off to florida to Twisted6 for port work, oversized valves, and lump ports installed. Bought the Offey intake and the 390 cfm carb. The old head is just pretty much junk now

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Ah maybe I should have cleared that part up. I bought a pre 75 head from Rock Auto months back, shipped it off to florida to Twisted6 for port work, oversized valves, and lump ports installed. Bought the Offey intake and the 390 cfm carb. The old head is just pretty much junk now
oh okay...you got some $$ invested in this project I see :yes:
You shouldn't have to worry much about that exhaust hose. The bracket might be a little bit of an issue. You might have to make one, or get one of those adjustable rods to hold the ps pump. I don't know what those rods are called, but they got tie rod style ends on a threaded rod and I've seen them used to hold alternators, ps pumps, ac compressors, etc.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The price tag is around $3500!!! :eek: but well worth it!
I came to the conclusion i'd have to make a bracket up for it, and probably plug off the excess hoses since they went to the exhaust manifold and now there isnt one...
I've got a suscribed threat for the 6cylinder engine bay pics, but no good photos of what I need to see...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting BigMike, Ill have to shave down some of the offey intake to get the langdon headers to fit in, so after that i'll get things bolted up and see where i stand with the power steering... im hoping to get it fired up next week, i've waited to dang long to get this going!!!

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Another option is an electric power steering pump from an MR2 or similar vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts