Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been discussed over and over but I really couldnt find the answers I was looking for. I will be pulling out the 250/PG and installing a 350/th350 combo in my 72. I plan on pulling the Radiator mount out, so I am just wondering what I may run into. I am concerned about the tranny crossmember, and the steering column. The Engine and tranny are coming as one unit...so should I attempt to just slide it in as one unit? Any gotchas I should watch for? This is a first for me..so i'm just gonna try to have patience on my side...!:chev:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I did this exact swap back in.... ( a long time ago :) ). The trans crossmember will work fine, the steering column will be fine, the radiator might be too small, but it will suffice, the radiator holdown will work, but the V8 style is better with the full shroud. The biggest issue will be the frame mounts for the engine, a junk yard is the best source for them, but they may still be available from GM. Other then some wiring issues for distributor and alternator locations, exhaust, trans linkage, and carb linkage, the swap is a slam dunk. Good luck!
M

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Engine and tranny are coming as one unit
I find it much easier to do them seperately; no severe angles to deal with; no fighting to guide the trans over the crossmember.......I don't even remove the radiator-just yank the engine straight up--drop the trans straight down.
That's just what works best for me.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I've done it both ways, it just depends on the hoist that you are using, not all of them can lift the engine high enough to clear the rad support. Personally, I prefer to remove/install the engine & trans together - just remove (or slide it back) the trans Xmember to avoid the angle situation. Make sure you have a cap or something on the tailshaft though, there is a lot of fluid in the a/t's! It can be difficult to muscle a TH350 or TH400 up into place and get the torque converter & bellhousing bolts lined up - creates a lot of cursing and swearing, which I can't do anymore with my 4 year old running around :D
M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts