Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 77 Pontiac Ventura with a 231 Buick motor. I would like to put something bigger in it such as a 350. Is this a difficult swap? Will I have to weld in new mounts? This would be my first engine swap, how big of a project is this? I've torn down a inline six down to the block with my dad a while back so that's where I get a lot of my knowledge. I just want to know what I'd be getting into and would like any advice I could get.

·
Registered
700 Posts
one note chevy 350 has a different bolt pattern so you will have to change the transmission also unless you use a pont or buick or a olds 350

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I believe the engine mount pedestals bolt on and that body style had engines from every division so mount exist but some may be easier to find.If you don't have to contend with smog laws an Olds or Pontiac or Buick 300-350 would work with you tranny bolt pattern. Olds 307 roller motor or 403 could be interesting,the buick 350 is similar to the 231 I think.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm guessing but would think a conversion to a Chevy 350 with a TH350 or manual trans should be pretty easy. My 79 Pontiac Phoenix started with a Chevy 305 & TH350. I switched to a Chevy 350 with 4 spd.manual. The motor mounts were the same as I was switching from one Chevy small block to another--but I would think the holes would be already in your subframe to bolt the Chevy motor mounts on. In my case I also was able to use the same crossmember under trans. and same driveshaft. I'm not sure what's available up there but Chevy 350's with TH350's are pretty easy to find here. If you needed a different crossmember than you have one from a Nova would be pretty easy to find.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 77 Pontiac Ventura with a 231 Buick motor. I would like to put something bigger in it such as a 350. Is this a difficult swap? Will I have to weld in new mounts? This would be my first engine swap, how big of a project is this? I've torn down a inline six down to the block with my dad a while back so that's where I get a lot of my knowledge. I just want to know what I'd be getting into and would like any advice I could get.
if you swap to a buick 350 it is a direct swap
just shorten the fan shroud
it depends on your transmission
some 231 came with the metric 200 trans and its not a good match with a
v-8(just my personal opinion)
if it came with the bop 350 turbo your good

if you go chevy you will need to swap the trans and may have to rewire some parts

scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts