Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been to a Super Chevy Show in nearly 20 years. Fresh paint and new trim parts on the '63 SS Convertible so I was thinking of driving the 20 miles to Bristol Motor Speedway Sunday, September 30th for the car show. Can't make it Saturday, just Sunday. Is it worth the effort? Car is restored original (NNN Gold Class), still with the factory 6....... so what class is that now-a-days.

·
6,502 Posts
Haven't been to a Super Chevy Show in nearly 20 years. Fresh paint and new trim parts on the '63 SS Convertible so I was thinking of driving the 20 miles to Bristol Motor Speedway Sunday, September 30th for the car show. Can't make it Saturday, just Sunday. Is it worth the effort? Car is restored original (NNN Gold Class), still with the factory 6....... so what class is that now-a-days.
I'm going to start off my reply with: Know what you want to go to !!!!.

A story from me:

Years ago, back in the 1980's some of us from Saint Louis heard about what they called at the time a Super Chevy Sunday event put on by Super Chevy Magazine down in Memphis and we decided to make the trek. This was when they first started doing this and while memories fade, there were plenty of vendors, plenty of racing, a decent car show on a chat parking lot, and good times. We had such a good time that we went back year after year into the early 90's and the show grew in size but due to some unknown reason our gang quit going. Nothing wrong with the show then but I think we just decided to try something else.
In the early 2000's it had been a while since I had went to one of the Super Chevy Magazine shows in Memphis so after talking we got a decent sized group from Saint Louis to go there once again. Like we remembered, there were plenty of vendors, plenty of racing, and since the show had grown, the car show got moved onto asphalt and was even more organized.
At some point in this time frame a few of us made the trek to Indy as well as Joliet for the Super Chevy Magazine shows. All were great.
Now fast forward to 2012 or so and Super Chevy Magazine had a stop here in Saint Louis so I as well as others I knew went and again had a wonderful time.
The next year or so after that I heard they were coming back and was advertised as the Menards Chevy Show SO thinking it was indeed the Super Chevy Show I had grown accustomed to, I went.
Well once there and after a while, this is where I found out Menards seemed to be playing on the stupidity of the general public.
I did not see the ISCA judges I had seen for YEARS at the Super Chevy Magazine shows and wondered what was up and then after the show found out, and I have no proof of this just what someone else found out, is the show was judged by a motorcycle club.
Now I am NOT a trophy hound but I do look to see whom I may be competing against and then once the awards were presented, wondered who came out on top and finally tracked it down through all of the pictures I take at shows like this and find out the winner of the "Stock" class was a "Modified" entry. Since the show was over after finding this, it just seemed wrong so I started digging into things and made calls.
I found out that the Menards Chevy Show IS NOT a Super Chevy Magazine show.Evidently, Menards and the promotions company for them wants people to "think" what one is spending money at is a true Super Chevy Magazine show and it IS NOT.
The one year I went to the Menard's show here in Saint Louis, they had rules copied from Super Chevy and this is something that made me "think" again it was a Super Chevy Magazine show but IT WAS NOT.

SO, for your information, there is NO Super Chevy Magazine Show in Brsitol this year but instead a Menard's Chevy Show is there BUT they are NOT the same quality show (and while you may view things differently, I have no idea how the 2018 Bristol show will be) is beware, if you think you are going to a Super Chevy Magazine show, Bristol is NOT having one.

I still have a thorn in me from getting taken but I as well as others got duped by the what I think is a play on words. Super Chevy Magazine has their shows and Menard's has their Chevy Shows and are two different shows.

Again I do not know how Bristol will be but the one year here in Saint Louis with the Menards Chevy Show there was "maybe" two vendors of car related parts and "maybe" 6 spots used in the Swap Meet. This put a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouth and even this year, with it returning to a Super Chevy Magazine show, some may still be thinking it's like it was a while back when Menard's had the Chevy Show here and will not attend.

Here are the 2018 schedules for Super Chevy Magazine and then the Menard's Chevy Show.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts