Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know that the 4th gen had some shifters that were automatic on the floor and they are actually a slap stick.My question is can you use the stock shifter with a 200r4 trans with somekind of modification to it. I hate to buy a shifter when mine works great.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one here has a 4th gen with a 200R4 trans in it:eek: ?? Well i guess i will figure it out the hard way. That is the best way to learn anyhow i guess.:D

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Novaboy009 had one in his Nova, but I think he used an aftermarket shifter with his. I think that you will have to modify the detents on the shifter to make it work correctly. You probably could use it as it is, but you would lose the ability to shift all the way down to first gear manually.

Randy (or you could modify it with parts from a later model OD shifter):)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Yah, I had one with a B&M pro stick. I had to buy a seperate shift plate for it. I think it'll be okay, but if you push it into first it'll shift from 1 to 2 automatically then you can shift 2-3 when you move the lever to 2nd gear and 3-4 when you push it into D. At least that's how the column shift linkage works I think.

Kev

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
Be aware that this transmission will start out in second gear if you place the shifter in second. It was a feature that was used to aid in getting rolling when in low traction conditions. The 700R4 in my El Camino and the 4L60 in my truck both do it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guy's,I think i am goto try and modify my stock shifter.I will let you all know how it works.I guess i am going to get a level 2 200r4 transmission from bowtieoverdrives.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You might want to check with Shiftworks.

They make the detent plates to convert other fatory shift units, such as an early powerglide to a TH350/400, so might be able to set you up .

~ AL

- interesting about the 'starting in second gear', as my 4L80 in my van doesn;t do that that I've ever noted. hmmm.. ( have to double check, lol )

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a street fighter TCI 200r4 from jegs 1299.00 instead of the one from bowtie,No reason just like jegs.I am going to take my shifter out and send to shiftworks and they are going to make a gateplate up so i can use factory slap stick shifter,This alone will save me a couple of hundred $.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts