Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, still working on getting my 2004r in. I got the Gforce CM and that worked out well. Had to get the right metic bolts for the tail to cm but that's all buttoned up now. My next problem on the list is the shift linkage. The one from the 350 doesn't work with the trans oil pan. I though I would only need the detent to go from 3 to 4 speed but now looks like I need a different linkage that bolts to the shift mechanism (sorry don't know the correct names) on the transmission. I have a factory floor shifter. I looked at Lokar and Shiftworks and they sell what I assume will work but my question is how will I use those to connect the bar going from the linkage at the transmission to part on the steering column. The column part only seems to be used for my neutral safety switch and my backup lights. The Shiftworks set comes with both those things but they appear to just be replacements for what's already OEM on the column. The Lokar setup seems to be for column shift and not floor/console shifters?

How did you guys make this work with your swaps? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,487 Posts
I wish that I could point you in the right direction regarding the use of your stock floor shifter... but I installed a B&M Quick Silver shifter when I did the 2004R trans swap.

The B&M shifter has a neutral safety and a reverse light switch within the shifter (both switches needed to be wired). After I installed the B&M shifter, I just zip stripped the lever on the steering column so it would not move.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well got it working. It was a combination of frustration, running out of time last night and needing to tweak the shift linkage bracket that mounts to the transmission. Anyway after being at work all day and thinking that I must be the only one with this issue (big hint), I figured it must be something I'm not doing right and it was the case. Also it seems like I'm now also able to hit all gears without a detent upgrade. Maybe it was already upgraded by the previous owner :confused:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shifter Detent Needed ???

I've got another quick question. I got my transmission linkage sorted out and all that's installed like it should be. I thought I'd need a shifter detent upgrade but when I run my shifter through the gears it sees to hit all gears P - 1. They seen pretty close of course but as far as I can tell I'm getting all the gears. I haven't started the car yet so this is with it on jack stands. Does this seem correct?

I thought I'd need to do some sort of shifter upgrade?? The gear changes are pretty close together and other than probably over shifting I guess it would work.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I've got another quick question. I got my transmission linkage sorted out and all that's installed like it should be. I thought I'd need a shifter detent upgrade but when I run my shifter through the gears it sees to hit all gears P - 1. They seen pretty close of course but as far as I can tell I'm getting all the gears. I haven't started the car yet so this is with it on jack stands. Does this seem correct?

I thought I'd need to do some sort of shifter upgrade?? The gear changes are pretty close together and other than probably over shifting I guess it would work.
Detents are inside the transmission so stock works once you get it connected.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I wish that I could point you in the right direction regarding the use of your stock floor shifter... but I installed a B&M Quick Silver shifter when I did the 2004R trans swap.

The B&M shifter has a neutral safety and a reverse light switch within the shifter (both switches needed to be wired). After I installed the B&M shifter, I just zip stripped the lever on the steering column so it would not move.
Love the Quicksilver shifters and put them in my last 3 and my buddies Novas.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's not really clear what the situation/question is, but I put a 200-4R in my 67 and used the stock Powerglide console floor shifter. You can buy all the parts to convert from Shiftworks but it's not necessary. I built my own detents for the shifter and modified the lever on the transmission myself. Saves a few $$ but if you're in a hurry or not much of a fabricator then just get the Shiftworks kit. I did buy the Shiftworks indicator lens.

What I'm talking about on the detent is something to keep you from shifting into reverse without depressing the button on the shifter.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SBC1320: When I say "detent" I'm talking about the thing in the shifter that stops it at certain spots. I know Shiftworks sells then in a kit and I thought that was necessary to use my shifter with a 4 speed transmission so just wanted to be sure it's good to go when I do fire it up.

nova66mussl: I'm defnitely not driving it until I'm sure the TV is set correctly. Im supposed to call the builder (Performabuilt) for them to walk me through the setup.

Rick L: My shifter does stop before hitting certain gears such as at drive and won't go into neutral or park without hitting the button. I don't remember all the stops right now. As far as I can tell it seems to work as it should when it comes to not going into certain gears ect. I've never converted to a 4 speed so not sure if this will be good to go once I fire it up. I was wondering if it possibly was already upgraded for a 4 speed or if that's possible with the TH350 that came with the car. I was just under the impression that I would definitely need to order The Shiftworks kit or something similar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Factory console shifter, nice and rare. I'm sure Shiftworks or Lokar got this covered. I made the switch from a column shifter so eliminating all the factory stuff was easy going with a B&M Hammer setup. Although wiring the reverse and neutral switches was extra work. And the factory neutral switch is stuck in the "park" position so I would need to swap to floor shift steering column to complete the swap properly. More money I don't have right now. Oh well. It sounds like your install is heading in a good direction though.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I ended up getting the B&M Megashifter which I'm in the process of installing it. I was hoping to make it fit in the factory console but doesn't look like that will happen so plan B will be to make a console once I get it in and working. I've always liked the look of the Megashifter so decided to just upgrade to one of those so we will see how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts