Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2004r 4th gear lock up trans built by gear star performance trans, it is built to hold up to 800 hp i bought it 5 years ago for about $4,400 after everything, now they sell for $7,999. :eek:I have been building the rest of the car so maybe 1000 miles on the trans, I only have a 350 hp motor now, i have everything dialed in tv cable adjustment, tv corection braket, and tv braket. Oil level is at the full mark when hot, but after i go down a hill i pull it into 1st gear to manualy shift it, make a turn lt or rt and and hit the throttle hard and shift into 2nd gear the trans wont shift into 2nd so i let off and it feels like the clutches are burning or like the car is in newtral and doesnt want to go forward, so i will pull over let the car sit for a while and then run it and it will be o.k. sometimes sooner than others, gearstar and art carr said to add another 1/2 qrt and it should solve the problem, just to see if the dip stick was off i drained the trans and put in 4 1/2 qrts and sure enuff it was at the full mark when hot, trans worked fine and then the previous senaryo happend again, so they want me to add another 1/2 qrt, that just seems hoky to me, art carr said i could put a deep pan and a 700r4 filter on it and it will solve the problem, but what the f i paid alot of $ for this thing it seems odd to put a 1/2 qrt over the full mark. Has anyone had this same experience?

·
3,863 Posts
The 200-4R's filter has the suction on the top of the filter near the front of the transmission versus on the bottom like most transmissions. During hard acceleration this pickup can get uncovered because of fluid movement to the rear of the pan. Most builders recommend running them overfull or switching to a deep pan with a 700-R4 filter.

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
as said above if the problem is indeed the trans sucking air as it sounds then run it a 1/2 quart full. The best option is to go to a deeper pan with the 700r filter. I like art carrs pan setup and used it with success behind the my old setup in my Chevelle. I would take a close look at your TV cable to make sure that thing is at full pull at wot as well.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts