Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to check the fluid level in the wifes 04 Grand Am today. I looked all over for the dipstick and couldn't find it. So I broke down and got the owners manual out. The fluid level is preset at the factory and isn't a servicable item. You can't add or check the fluid level. I can't believe that the fluid level can't be checked. What kind of crap is that?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Same thing on my Toyota Tacoma. I can't believe there is no way to check or change the fluid without going to a trans shop. Service writer told me it was good for at least 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mercedes Sprinter vans are the same way . The trans oil has to be checked at a specific temp, only read with a scan tool . Dip stick tubes come with a plug . Only dealers get dip sticks (service tool) .

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
you can but you might as well service the trans while you are there. if i remember right they have a plug towards the top of the trans, like the one on a rearend. pull the plug when trans is warmed up, if you can just touch the fluid with your finger or some comes out when you remove the plug then its full and good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
most of the newer marcedes dont even have a engine dipstick anymore. its all computer sensors .

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Necro said:
most of the newer marcedes dont even have a engine dipstick anymore. its all computer sensors .

to me that is just putting way too much faith in technology...but whadda I know:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts