Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the engine and trans are in, I am upgrading the trans pan. In the process, I installed the TV spring from the Bowtie Overdrives TV made-ez kit.

After dropping the pan and the filter, first of all I can see that the transmission does indeed appear to be rebuilt, which is nice, since that is what I paid for. Considering that the ebay seller basically disappeared a few months after I bought the transmission, at least I have that going for me.

Now, I can see black and tan wires from the solenoid. Black going to the plug, and tan going to the pressure switch. Is this correct for 4th gear lockup on a toggle switch?

Also, the speedometer gears need to be installed, and I am not sure how to do it. I may not have to change the drive gear, since it appears to be red:

It looks like the driven gear goes through the housing like this, then the housing goes into the transmission case:

If so, what holds the driven gear in place in the housing?

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
That little housing that looks like a bullet has a slot in the side of it.

There is a metal retainer that bolts to the case and fits in the slot.

Here is the wiring that I am using on my 200-4R that is for lockup only in 4th.:

http://chevyasylum.com/tech/4thgear

I only have one wire, hot, going to the transmission. I have a plug in the case that came off a turbo 400 trans. The part number is GM 24205373.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That little housing that looks like a bullet has a slot in the side of it.

There is a metal retainer that bolts to the case and fits in the slot.

Here is the wiring that I am using on my 200-4R that is for lockup only in 4th.:

http://chevyasylum.com/tech/4thgear

I only have one wire, hot, going to the transmission. I have a plug in the case that came off a turbo 400 trans. The part number is GM 24205373.
Great! I have the bolt and the tab-thingy that goes into the slot to hold the housing in. Is there nothing else to hold the driven gear in position besides the housing?

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Sorry I can't really help you in this case, but thought I'd mention to you that now would be a good time to install a temperature gauge while you have the pan off (if you were interested in doing so that is). It's as simple as drilling a hole and installing the housing for the probe. I picked up an Autometer gauge when I purchased a deep pan for my 700R4 after it was rebuilt and installed in my 63.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I can't really help you in this case, but thought I'd mention to you that now would be a good time to install a temperature gauge while you have the pan off (if you were interested in doing so that is). It's as simple as drilling a hole and installing the housing for the probe. I picked up an Autometer gauge when I purchased a deep pan for my 700R4 after it was rebuilt and installed in my 63.
Good point. I have the gauge as part of the install kit from BTO. Thanks for the reminder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.