Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know where i can get a 2 speed rear end or overdrive unit for a reasonable price? i found a doug nash unit on craigslist but i think those are to big to fit under a nova. my saginaw 4 speed went the other day and i would love a t56 or tko but i cant afford that. i have a super t.10 but its close ratio so for it to launch with out burning up clutches and run decent rpms i would need some type of overdrive. so if any of you know of anything or what trucks had 2 speed rear ends that would be great

·
Registered
212 Posts
anyone know where i can get a 2 speed rear end or overdrive unit for a reasonable price? i found a doug nash unit on craigslist but i think those are to big to fit under a nova. my saginaw 4 speed went the other day and i would love a t56 or tko but i cant afford that. i have a super t.10 but its close ratio so for it to launch with out burning up clutches and run decent rpms i would need some type of overdrive. so if any of you know of anything or what trucks had 2 speed rear ends that would be great
I think you're pi$$ing up a rope for a "car" sized 2-speed rearend. Most were in 2-ton on up trucks.

There were some very old 2-speed rearends. Columbia made a rearend for some of the Ford cars from the mid 30's through the late 40's. But they were NOT a rearend that could handle today's hp. They also did not have very good brakes etc.

The best thing you can do is to use your T-10 and put a Gear Vendor O/D behind it. But to do that you will need to have a trans to GV coupler and change or modify the driveshaft. I believe there is another company that does an O/D like the GV setup, but I cannot remember the name.

Depending on your current hp, you may look for an 80's Camaro 5-spd that may be a cheaper transplant for you.

Good luck and I'm sure others will chime in with other options.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I think you're pi$$ing up a rope for a "car" sized 2-speed rearend. Most were in 2-ton on up trucks.

There were some very old 2-speed rearends. Columbia made a rearend for some of the Ford cars from the mid 30's through the late 40's. But they were NOT a rearend that could handle today's hp. They also did not have very good brakes etc.

The best thing you can do is to use your T-10 and put a Gear Vendor O/D behind it. But to do that you will need to have a trans to GV coupler and change or modify the driveshaft. I believe there is another company that does an O/D like the GV setup, but I cannot remember the name.

Depending on your current hp, you may look for an 80's Camaro 5-spd that may be a cheaper transplant for you.

Good luck and I'm sure others will chime in with other options.
This is fantastic advice.

Only thing I have to add is that you can find old Hone-O-Drive overdrive units but they are by no means cheap.

A T5 would be cheap and would work but you can't push a lot of power through them.

·
Registered
608 Posts
What kind of h.p. will the T5 take WildBillyT? Dan, Could you tell me what years of camaro had the t5 & is this trans mounted in six cylinder cars also or just high performance camaros? My car was produced with a floor console. Would the T5 work with it? Great thread novaH.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What kind of h.p. will the T5 take WildBillyT? Dan, Could you tell me what years of camaro had the t5 & is this trans mounted in six cylinder cars also or just high performance camaros? My car was produced with a floor console. Would the T5 work with it? Great thread novaH.
Budget is going to be a big factor on what you end up with.

You didn't mention the type of power you have and the type of driving you do. If you're just around town and not much freeway cruising, I would just go with your T-10 close ratio 4-spd and maybe drop the rearend to a lower numerical rear gear ratio. I don't know what gear ratio you have now, so I cannot give you a guess on what change to. I do remember in the old days I ran a '62 Impala SS with a 3.08 rear end and I had a M-21 in it. It seemed to get around okay as I remember. This was in '68 so my memory may not be too clear.

Using what you have and dropping another rear gear set in may be the cheapest and easiest to pull off. Now driveshaft changes and almost a bolt in.

I was not that familiar with the 5-spd Camaros, but they did run some fairly hot, for the day, hp options. I would look for a Gen III Camaro, they were made from '82 through '92. The only reason I say that is that if price is a problem, they will be the cheapest and there should be plenty of them out there.

But there is one problem with any older type of T5 and that is that there were not many shifter locations and it's quite far back on the trans. This alone may limit this type of trans in your Nova. The newer T56 etc have I think three locations you can attach the shifter and that's a big advantage in older cars.

Nothing today is cheap and it's hard to put something together without some money in your pocket.

Let us know the type of hp you have and the type of driving you plan on doing etc. Is this a long term conversion or just till you have some money to do what you really want, a T56?

I'm sure tonight when others check this out that there will be more options for you.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
In the 3rd gen Camaros they were not exactly known for their durability. They were never offered behind the L98 350s because they could not hold up to the sustained testing.

BUT

Most people can get away with a T5 if you are around 300hp and don't gorilla shift.

There are different versions, too. I believe you want a V8 T5 as the V6 ones are even weaker.

Edit:

I will say this. With the massive amount of people wanting to go OD, you can bet that almost every avenue has been explored already. If it's not a popular method, there may be good reason.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Do some research of 81 to 86 chevy trucks with 4 speed in floor.

They are called "MY6" and the 4th gear is about .73 overdrive.

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are like a nornal 3 speed, with 3rd having a 1 to 1 ratio.

·
Registered
212 Posts

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are like a nornal 3 speed, with 3rd having a 1 to 1 ratio.
My brother has one that was replaced under warranty back in '79 out of his F150 Ford pickup. It still has the original shifter, which I believe are very scarce.

He did some research lately and these 4-spd's (3-spd with 4th as O/D) are going for tons of money. It's a great way to O/D a car and still get around pretty good. His was in a camper truck package so they are beefy enough for sure.

Also, what WildWilly said about strength of the T5 is right. They were not a high hp trans, but I agree that a mild 350 at under 300 hp might make it last quite a while.

I still don't see where the OP says how he wants to do a short term or long term upgrade.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks for sharing your wisdom. In my case I have the equavilence of a L48. Muncie M-20 with 3.31 gears. I've got the D55 interior package & wanted to make it more cruising happy on the highway without altering the car anymore than I had to. Leave it easy to put the muncie back in. I'm old now & want to log some miles but still like to bash gears & WOT. I was hoping that there was an easy & cheap trans change for gaining an O.D. By the looks, their isn't that option available.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Thanks for sharing your wisdom. In my case I have the equavilence of a L48. Muncie M-20 with 3.31 gears. I've got the D55 interior package & wanted to make it more cruising happy on the highway without altering the car anymore than I had to. Leave it easy to put the muncie back in. I'm old now & want to log some miles but still like to bash gears & WOT. I was hoping that there was an easy & cheap trans change for gaining an O.D. By the looks, their isn't that option available.
The last option is to get overdrive added to your Muncie. I think the gearset is M21Y. Ratios 2.20, 1.50, 1, .85.

Unless your trans needs a freshening it may not be worth it. Stepping down from a 2.52 first to a 2.20 first doesn't really make sense when you can just drop down to a 3.08 ratio rear.

Depending on year, your ST-10 might be the 2.64 first unit. If that's the case you can probably just run taller tires or something like that.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

My brother has one that was replaced under warranty back in '79 out of his F150 Ford pickup. It still has the original shifter, which I believe are very scarce.

He did some research lately and these 4-spd's (3-spd with 4th as O/D) are going for tons of money. It's a great way to O/D a car and still get around pretty good. His was in a camper truck package so they are beefy enough for sure.

Also, what WildWilly said about strength of the T5 is right. They were not a high hp trans, but I agree that a mild 350 at under 300 hp might make it last quite a while.

I still don't see where the OP says how he wants to do a short term or long term upgrade.
I can look when I get home, I bought a rebuilt A833 for my 84 Chevy K10 think it was around 500 bucks and came from florida. Thing that might catch ya is there was two different trans mounts . Might be good for a car but sucks for a truck , need the SM465 just dont want to install that bear lol

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
I can look when I get home, I bought a rebuilt A833 for my 84 Chevy K10 think it was around 500 bucks and came from florida. Thing that might catch ya is there was two different trans mounts . Might be good for a car but sucks for a truck , need the SM465 just dont want to install that bear lol
I think the MY6 is the GM version and the A833 is the MoPar version???

The only difference that I have read about this is that the bell housing varies between the two.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I think the MY6 is the GM version and the A833 is the MoPar version???

The only difference that I have read about this is that the bell housing varies between the two.
My6 is the RPO Code, its still a A833 . Also have to be careful since they used two bellhousings (could be a good thing) one used the chevy trans pattern and the other the mopar pattern.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the replies, i just have 2 questions. if i find a chrysler a833 all i have to change is the bellhousing? and can a doug nash unit work with a manual trans? ive only seen them with turbo 400s

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
thanks for the replies, i just have 2 questions. if i find a chrysler a833 all i have to change is the bellhousing? and can a doug nash unit work with a manual trans? ive only seen them with turbo 400s
Be easier to find the one with the Chevy trans bolt pattern then you won't have to look for the bell housing this is where I ordered my rebuilt one from

http://www.manual-transmission.com/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts