Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a 283 from a 62' Impala and was wondering about using the 2 speed air cooled powerglide behind the 194 6 cylinder would be a ok fit?Not looking for high performance just a daily work car with anything other than the god awful 1 barrel carburetor. If its not advisable what trans should I be going for?

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
You will be fine as long as you don't beat the heck out of it or drive regularly in hot weather and traffic. It is not a long-term solution, but it should hold up for some time. It has been done many times with no consideration that it may not hold up, so you are ahead of the game knowing not to go drag racing with it.

The V8 PGs internals are supposed to be a bit beefier than the L6 one. I have been told different clutch packs and something with the pump.

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
I wouldn't. It's going to heat up quickly and often. Why would you put in a 283? More power/torque/speed. If all the swap does is expose the shortcomings of the aircooled trans, then why? Also, are you going to change the radiator from the stock 6 unit to something bigger to accommodate the bigger engine? Then maybe get one with the trans cooler line ports in it? Next thing you know, you're close to putting in a fluid-cooled trans.

Fluid cooled power glides are pretty cheap. Rebuilding them is pretty cheap. TH 350 transmissions are pretty cheap, actually. Then you wouldn't have to worry.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
it should be fine behind the 194 also check the side of the case Some??? Had plugs in the case to run lines from. But I dout the stock Rad for the 194 has line hook ups. But you could install a after market cooler.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It will work just fine, that is where the lions share of the air cooled 'Glides were used is Six and the 4 cylinder models but they did get used in the low perf 283 2 barrel packages too. It'll have an easier time in your light Chevy II than it would in the tank Impala.
Will have slightly better initial acceleration due to the V8 'Glide has a 1.76 first while the Six 'Glides have 1.82 low gear.

I could be wrong about this, but I seem to remember the cooler circuit is there in the trans and case, just has block off plugs screwed into the ports....you can pull the plugs and add stock cooler fittings and make it operational. The light air cooled 'glides were popular with the circle track guys for a long time. Take a look and see if the trans case has plugs in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't. It's going to heat up quickly and often. Why would you put in a 283? More power/torque/speed. If all the swap does is expose the shortcomings of the aircooled trans, then why? Also, are you going to change the radiator from the stock 6 unit to something bigger to accommodate the bigger engine? Then maybe get one with the trans cooler line ports in it? Next thing you know, you're close to putting in a fluid-cooled trans.

Fluid cooled power glides are pretty cheap. Rebuilding them is pretty cheap. TH 350 transmissions are pretty cheap, actually. Then you wouldn't have to worry.
I dont want to go all out and put in a small block 350, I want to stay as close to original (to the year) as I can get. But it looks like a th350 is going to be the way to go, and yes Im willing to change anything necessary i.e Radiator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it should be fine behind the 194 also check the side of the case Some??? Had plugs in the case to run lines from. But I dout the stock Rad for the 194 has line hook ups. But you could install a after market cooler.
Will definitely look, it has an aftermarket aluminum rad now, previous owner put in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will work just fine, that is where the lions share of the air cooled 'Glides were used is Six and the 4 cylinder models but they did get used in the low perf 283 2 barrel packages too. It'll have an easier time in your light Chevy II than it would in the tank Impala.
Will have slightly better initial acceleration due to the V8 'Glide has a 1.76 first while the Six 'Glides have 1.82 low gear.

I could be wrong about this, but I seem to remember the cooler circuit is there in the trans and case, just has block off plugs screwed into the ports....you can pull the plugs and add stock cooler fittings and make it operational. The light air cooled 'glides were popular with the circle track guys for a long time. Take a look and see if the trans case has plugs in it.
I will look into the transmission see if the plugs are there definitely worth checking.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Klepton . . . . . If I had a choice . . . . . between the p/g & TH 350 trans . . . . . . take the 350 trans.
About two years ago - - I removed my stock p/g , but went the 'stick shift route' . . . . . . and, I had a very good p/g (fluid - cooled - unit ) . I also had a 350 trans in my parts car . . . . . just wanted to "shift gears" ;
so, I never made the p/g to 350 trans swap . (I do like the o.d. with my standard transmission .

just talking here ………… and, WELCOME to SNS ………….. jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you are thinking of swapping transmissions I would take an honest look at a 200-4R. It's the same length as a PG, so you won't have to modify the driveshaft like you will with a TH350, and you get overdrive. The trans mount is also in the same location on the 200 so it makes for a much easier swap than a TH350. Just my $.02

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you are thinking of swapping transmissions I would take an honest look at a 200-4R. It's the same length as a PG, so you won't have to modify the driveshaft like you will with a TH350, and you get overdrive. The trans mount is also in the same location on the 200 so it makes for a much easier swap than a TH350. Just my $.02
The standard short 6" tailshaft passenger car Th-350 is also the same length as the short 9" tail car Powerglide, uses the same slip yoke, and the same trans crossmember....only the Truck TH-350 or the big car B-body TH-350 is long tailshaft.

The 200-R4 uses same slip yoke and driveshaft length....but the trans mount on the case is in the TH-400 location, almost 5" farther back that the TH-350/Powerglide location, requiring crossmember alteration to fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts