Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Recently, I have developed what sounds to me like some noise from the left side of my engine. I believe it is in the valve train (tap, tap tap). Also on the same side I have two spark plugs that consistently oil foul, sometimes to the point where the cylinders miss fire. The heads are original chevy heads. I would like to figure out what the issue is. If everything on the bottom end is good I would like to install some aftermarket heads and a roller cam with retro-fit roller lifters. Any insite would be greatly appriciated. The other option which I would like to stay away from is a new crate engine. The car does not smoke so I don't think that my rings are bad.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
It could be a worn guide/valve stem seal or rings. Since it doesn't smoke under a heavy load, I'd guess guide/seal.:yes:

There's a coouple other things that COULD cause it. :yes:

PVC (or bad vacuum modulator on a th350) sucking oil in (depending on the location of the vacuum port) and 99% of the oil going into a couple siamesed cylinders. This is mostly common with dual plane intakes since only 2 cylinders on each side actually get their air/fuel mix from that side of the intake.

As for the noise, it could be loose lash or a header gasket leaking, which will also help destroy the plug boots and cause a miss.

It's easy enough to do a compression test and leak-down to make sure the bottom end is sound. The rest of the story will be realized when the heads come off.:yes: unless you have a lighted bore scope to LOOK in through the plug holes..:devil:

Happy hunting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts