Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my 71 2 door has the welded on hinges, they sag, the doors are rotted (into where the hinges attach) and I'm already using a nice 4 door as a floor donor.

My question is, if I move the 4 door front pillar mounts over when I swap floors (the 4 door has bolted on hinges) will a bolt on set of 2 door doors bolt up? essentially, will doors from a two door bolt onto 4 door front pillars? is there any difference in the hinges?

lastly, the roof and door from the 4 door are FREE to anyone who can use em; check the Freebie section!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would be welding a 4 door A pillar into my 2 door, then bolting on 2 door doors.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I looked at my 4 door and 2 door A posts tonight and they look the same to me, I would be surprised to find out that they're different. There's no reason to make them different.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I got the pins out of the driver's hinges without too much trouble but now I'm wondering if 73-74 doors will will fit a 71? can you bolt the wing windows in?

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
73/74 doors will fit the 71. I don't know about installing the vent windows though. I will say that even though I do like and use vent windows, not having them makes a car look longer and lower by not having the horizontal line. For many years VW owners have removed vent windows and installed one piece windows for that reason. The 73-74 have that going for them but they killed it with the squared off quarter windows... Add the one piece window to the 71 with the nice quarter window and you may like the look.

Tommy :)

·
5,132 Posts
You will need to be very accurate with locating the replacement hinge mounting area to you car. Even with adjustable hinges you have to be very close or you will run out of adjustment if you weld the piece in the wrong position. I would take numerous measurments of the existing 2 dr hinges before cutting them out. These could be used to help locate the 4 dr hinges before welding.
Depending on your resources and skills you may consider making a fixture to locate to the hinge pin area. The replacement piece could be located using this fixture.
For bolt on hinges, set your hinge at the center of it's adjustment before measuring it. This will give you adjustment room later.
I would also try to test fit the door before welding (if you can clamp the pillar in place) or after doing a few tack welds. Make sure everything is right before final welding.

Another option,
Possibly a door could be tack welded in the opening (with perfect alignment).
Check, check, check and recheck door alignment.
This would be your fixture to locate the hinge pillar. You should be able to weld most of the pillar with the door shut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts