Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder, should I go with a 3" aluminized exhaust or a 2.25" stainless steel exhaust? I want looks, yeah, but I also want power. the 3'' is $10 cheaper

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I don't know what kind of power your engine makes, but remember if the diameter of the pipe you choose is to large for the engine you have, you could see a rather noticable loss in bottom end.

·
Registered
101 Posts
thats a big difference running 2 1/4 or 3" what kind of engine are you running ? you shouldnt need 3" until close to 500hp

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's what I have....

I have the 307 that makes 200hp, but I want to do a lot to it. I was thinking of: msd ignition kit, headers, definitely dual exhaust, rebuild kit with forged pistons, and either an edelbrock pro-flo fuel injection system or the 800eps carb....plus possibly stroking it with a 350 crank

·
Registered
101 Posts
yah, i went 2 1/4 on my old 307 and it madea HUGE difference!

but then i had to redo it and go 2 1/2..

now im redoing it again and going 3" haha

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

I'm running 2 1/2 inch and like it a lot...not too big, not too small!

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
i actually went 3" from collector to mufflers than 2.5" over the axle under neath the qt panels..i love the look of that 3"..but if you dont have the motor for it 2.5" is what i would go with

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
On a several small block Novas, I have ran 2 1/2" to the mufflers and 2 1/4" over the rear axle. The exhaust gases cool considerably by the time they exit the muffler and do not need as much volume for the rest of the trip. Also, there is a noticeable difference in noise between 2 1/4" & 2 1/2" tailpipes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts