Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a 2 1/4" exhaust right now and thinking about moving up to 2 1/2" Maybe with an X pipe. Would this be worth the effort? Combo is below.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should be around 375 hp or so. Just did the roller cam upgrade. Looking at the Summit 2.5 X pipe and a set of Force Pro Series mufflers. (Flowmaster copies)

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Many years ago I went from 1 5/8" headers and 2 1/4" turbo mufflers to 1 7/8" headers and 2 1/2" Flowmasters---nothing, nada, zip, zero difference in performance. Just a lot more noise. Most tubing gets thinner as diameter gets bigger, which makes for more noise. If it were me, I wouldn't waste the money. The X-pipe might make the difference, but not the 1/4" diameter change.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
that's a large primary for such a small exit diameter.. what kind of motor were you running it on?
It was a 14.5-1 406; the only reason I ran em that big was $$ I paid $40. for the headers; I ran the 2 1/2" a couple days before switching to the big headers and still didn't notice any change(no dyno or drag tests)

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I think it depends on your mufflers also. I had 2 1/2 pipe on my car with glasspacks. I switched to 3" pipe with Flowmasters delta 40 series mufflers. My car felt like it picked up 100hp. I always thought glasspacks were suppossed to be a high flow muffler, turns out the straight through design isn't as good as I thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts