Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took it easy and only made a few passes to get the feel of things.

New best of 11.90 with a 1.61 sixty foot. MPH is up from 106 average to 112-116.

Traction issue! While she hooks hard at first and lifts the front end about a foot, she's unloading afterward and am losing traction to about the 60' mark.
Obviously that is hurting ET a lot.

Suspension is stock with CE slapper bars and Summit adj front shocks, currently set at 90/10. Any thoughts? Maybe installing adjustable rear shocks too?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Took it easy and only made a few passes to get the feel of things.

New best of 11.90 with a 1.61 sixty foot. MPH is up from 106 average to 112-116.

Traction issue! While she hooks hard at first and lifts the front end about a foot, she's unloading afterward and am losing traction to about the 60' mark.
Obviously that is hurting ET a lot.

Suspension is stock with CE slapper bars and Summit adj front shocks, currently set at 90/10. Any thoughts? Maybe installing adjustable rear shocks too?
You might try soften the front shocks 1 step. I had a smilar problem and it felt like it was "bouncing" on the stiff front end and unloading the rear. Soften the front helped me some.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
X2 on that. I have the Calvert (Rancho) rear shocks and find that a couple clicks will fix the problem of hooking then unloading. With your mph, you should be able to get to 11.50's. :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I figured adj rear shocks would be the first thing to try..and cheapest, LOL!

Am guessing it's leaving a good 2 tenths on the table maybe more and thats without really playing with the tune yet. Though I must say the plugs looked pretty good after 3 passes, just a tad rich in the decent weather we had Saturday. Don't think I would have dropped more then 2 jet sizes on the secondary side only.
Plus was conservative with the timing pulling an extra 2 degrees out to be safe.

All in all a nice first experience with nitrous. Admittedly I was very nervous about it too. If I do major damage it will take a loooong time to get it fixed on a 15k/year budget.
But the boring old GMPP crate motor seemed just fine with the smallish Powershot kit and a conservative approach. Am glad to say I have attained my next goal.
That being a true 11 second capable street car that is reliable enough to be driven every day if I were to choose to do so.

Next goal will be to get the tune as close to 11.50 as possible then install a cage for future upgrades. Saw exactly what I planned while at the track too.
An S&W installed 6 point with dual swing outs. Their work looks impeccable!

Thanks guys! I'd have never moved forward with nitrous install if it wasn't for the advice and experience of others on this site----NPHNP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts