Chevy Nova Forum banner
381 - 400 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
see many common wheels used, such as the 14"/15" steel rally wheels, then Torque Thrust, chrome steel, etc - then seems that more modern/larger/expensive wheels
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
- anyone running Camaro alloy wheels from the 80's - any pictures? - just looking something out of the norm but, on a low budget - 15x6,15x7, 15x8 - on my '63 SS

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I had picked up a set of that type of wheels with 235/60/15 and 225/60/15 tires. I wasn’t really wanting them for the wheels but rather I wanted the tires. I did try them on the rear but there was not enough backspace and they were in contact with the outer wheel house.. I don’t know how much backspace they had but I’m gonna guess it was 4”of backspace on a 7” wide wheel. That’s not enough.. You might be able to run them if they have smaller size tires maybe 205/60/15 but I would suggest looking for 7” wide wheels with 4.5-4.75” of backspace 225/60/15 for the rear.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have a '63 SS with 54.5" (drum to drum) wide Ford 9" and CPP minisubframe with CPP disc brake kit. Front has 4.5" BS wheels with 185/60-15 General Altimax tires. Rear is 3.5" BS wheels with 195/55-15 Altimax tires. 195/60-15 tires would not fit on front.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, just got a 65 sedan with a straight 6 and all stock. Looking to upgrade to disc brakes so also means looking for new wheels and tires. Been reading through a lot of these posts and just not sure what sizing to go with.
The car is all stock suspension so what’s the safest setup to go with sizing wise to not have any problems? For the brake kit the wheels have to be at least a 15 over the original stock 14s. New to the nova world and a little overwhelmed with choosing the right setup. Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
There are a lot of directions one can go. I would suggest getting an idea of what type of car you are after and then make some decisions on what you will need to get. The kind of suspension modifications you plan on will narrow down the field of choices.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
My 64 was a similar setup 194/Glide, drum brakes, crappy suspension as yours. I didn’t want to make a major project car out of it so a used the KISS method and stuck to it. CPP Mini subframe kit, cut off one front coil per side, de-arch 2” rear mono-leaf springs w/all new bushings, a set of KYB’s out back, 225/60/15 on the rear and 205/60/15 up front. Kept the drums up front..
You are not wrong there I appreciate it!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 64 was a similar setup 194/Glide, drum brakes, crappy suspension as yours. I didn’t want to make a major project car out of it so a used the KISS method and stuck to it. CPP Mini subframe kit, cut off one front coil per side, de-arch 2” rear mono-leaf springs w/all new bushings, a set of KYB’s out back, 225/60/15 on the rear and 205/60/15 up front. Kept the drums up front..
View attachment 423065
That looks slick and what I am going for, something simple! Thanks for posting it

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,735 Posts
That looks slick and what I am going for, something simple! Thanks for posting it
When you have lots of Hot rod experience like Nova Thug it sounds easy peasy and that's how we did it for decades but as they say.....Don't try this at home.......Unless you know what you're doing. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you have lots of Hot rod experience like Nova Thug it sounds easy peasy and that's how we did it for decades but as they say.....Don't try this at home.......Unless you know what you're doing. :D
I believe it! When I realized I needed bigger rims for the brakes (can you tell this is my first rodeo?) my timeline of everything got messed up and then got me overwhelmed and joined this forum immediately.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
@Sedan65
I will suggest that you start a thread to discuss your build as this is thread is primarily suppose to be about wheel and tire fitment and I believe your project will encompass a bit more then just wheels and tires.. It will also be easier for you to access your own thread as this one has over 10 years of posting in it..

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Sedan65
I will suggest that you start a thread to discuss your build as this is thread is primarily suppose to be about wheel and tire fitment and I believe your project will encompass a bit more then just wheels and tires.. It will also be easier for you to access your own thread as this one has over 10 years of posting in it..
I appreciate the advice thank you!

381 - 400 of 414 Posts