Chevy Nova Forum banner

321 - 340 of 377 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
You’re absolutely correct, those wheels and tire specs will fit just fine.

I have the exact same setup on the rear of mine and 18’s on the front as well with a 215/40, so yours should be safe.

As far as I know, you’re not going to get custom backspace AR wheels for that price but ya never know!

Ok with that being said will a 8" rim fit under the car? I have chevelle disc brakes up front and stock reared in back. I found AR torque thrust 2 in 4.50" BS for the 17's and 18's. Off the shelf
With the chevelle disc brakes you might need more than 4.5” if backspace, the chevelle brakes push the wheel further out than stock. To be safe 4.75” or 5” might be best.

Some say an 8” wide wheel won’t fit but I can fit an 8” wheel on my stock rear end with 5.25” backspace, centers it right up.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
On the rear an 8" wide wheel will fit with 5.25" back space..

I've fitted 17,18" wheels with:
235/45/17
245/45/17
255/45/17*-This is pushing the max limit of the outer wheel house.
235/45/18
245/45/18

With:
Stock 8.2 axle
Stock spring location
Stock tubs
Stock brakes

Pictured is a 255/45/17

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
What 17" wheels are that on your ride NovaThug? That is a tight fit. I saw your ride in the blue Nova's thread but it's sporting the black steelies.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
The wheels used are BMW Style 32, 17x8 is20. I also have the same wheel in 18x8 is20. The image shows the 18x8 with a 245/45/18 rear and a 235/45/18 front. The 17's are on the passenger side..

The blue car with black steelies is a 64ss, my other cars are 63ss..

I posted a lot of info and specs in this thread page 4..
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517393

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Stock wheel wells

I am back to work on my 62 sedan and am trying to decide if I need to worry about the rear wheel well size. I plan to someday have a v8 in the car and just made sub frame connectors. I do not plan to have a ton of HP just a nice street V8. If I am understanding what I am reading hear I will have no problem fitting some sizes of 15" tires in the back if I buy a rim with enough back space (4.5-4.75")I will never have a better time to change the wheel wells but have no plans to have a narrowed rear end or such that would require notching the frame either. Let me know what ya think. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1963 convertible
15 Posts
Oh my do I need help...briefly-in 1963 my mom bought a nova II ss convertible. Said vehicle is sitting in my driveway. Engine etc are all original and were rebuilt (not by me, I don't understand this stuff?) in 2002. The car sat and rotted until my mom died in 2016. My dad had the car towed, gave freerain to some shop to do all the paint, interior and bodywork to then gave it to me. Now, please understand that I love this car almost as much as I love my kids. At least 200,000 of its 500,000 + miles were put on by me. BUT...things were done to it that shouldn't have been done and I can't complain. What I know is that the car now sits considerably lower than it did and I don't know why but my guess is it's the tires because they seem so much smaller than I remember and the guys who redid it apparently tossed the 4 whitewalls that were on it (they say). Right now it has P185/70R13 on it (one of which is flat...again). Its the original 4 lugnut and I know nothing about backspacing etc (i'm a girl for Pete's sake ?). Are these tires right? Can I put bigger tires on it without having to change anything and will doing so raise it up? Please help me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to all for the help here. I haven't seen anyone go the direction I'm considering now. My stock 62 has the original 13" 4 lug setup. I see Wheel Vintiques has a 15" smoothie wheel in the 4x4.5" bolt pattern. I called Coker and no one can commit they will fit. Any ideas before the buy them if I am going to run into issues with these? They also have a 14" option, and need to know what size tires I can run? Given it's stock it doesn't have power steering so I was thinking a narrower tire up front and as large as I could go in rear.

Here are my options....do I go with a 15x6 or a 15x7? THANK YOU!

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&submodel=&engine=&Nrpp=&No=&persistYmm=false

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 1962 two door coupe that currently has 205/70r14s with 14" x 5" wheels (4 lug) all the way around. I run traditional 14" SS hubcaps with 3/4" white walls and would like to continue to use hubcaps with white walls. I have recently upgraded front end with Church Bros. upper and lower control arms and 14" (5 lug) front disc brake conversion from Right Stuff and 5 lug, 1966 rear end drums.

I would like to run the same size tire all the way around and am considering going back to the 205/70r14 with the following 5 lug wheels from Coker: 14x7 w/4.25 backspace. Has anyone had any experience fitting these tires on these wheels in a first generation Chevy II. I'm looking for front clearance.

Thanks for any help.

Rob

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
If your disc brake kit is a zero offset kit then you might be ok. If you're running the CBR rack and pinion steering it might be a tight fight with a 14x7.. Most folk aren't running 14" wheels with CBR stuff. At least most that post up on the site. I would contact CBR for there thoughts on this combination.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks. I decided to go with Rally 14×6 with 4 3/8 backspace with my original 205/70x14's. They should work without rubbing according to experiences of other fellow Steve's Nova brothers. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I spent an hour or so reading this thread (great info!) but I'm possibly more lost than I was initially.
Can you run 17x7" 4.50" BS wheel up front with 205/40/17 tire, 17x7" 4.50" BS wheel in the rear with an 225/45/17 tire?
Church Boys front, 2" drop spindle/Right Stuff disc, 2" rear drop blocks on GM 10 bolt?
It has skinnies in the front right now, and I want to put something more driver friendly, along with a wheel that shows off the brake upgrade!

I'd rather go a bit smaller if necessary to avoid any rubbing.

LOL. No matter which way I rotate the pic and save it, it's still sideways.....:confused:
Delete pic

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I spent an hour or so reading this thread (great info!) but I'm possibly more lost than I was initially.
Can you run 17x7" 4.50" BS wheel up front with 205/40/17 tire, 17x7" 4.50" BS wheel in the rear with an 225/45/17 tire?
Church Boys front, 2" drop spindle/Right Stuff disc, 2" rear drop blocks on GM 10 bolt?
It has skinnies in the front right now, and I want to put something more driver friendly, along with a wheel that shows off the brake upgrade!

LOL. No matter which way I rotate the pic and save it, it's still sideways.....:confused:
Delete pic

4"bs does not work....they rub...especially if you have chevelle brakes....they push the wheels out 5/8-3/4 " per side....very unlikely you have cpp or the right stuff zero offset disc brakes....which do not push the wheels out... you really need wheels that are 15x7 with 4 3/4 bs (4.5bs will work ..4.75 work better)
Ls brakes on all 4.. church boys upper/ lowers power rack up front.. leafs with blocks out back
Batman’s well documented the fitments that work on early ChevyII Novas. I defer to his experience of what he has been able to fit on factory clips with CBR front suspensions.. 7” wide wheels with 4.75 backspace

·
Registered
16 Posts
Batman’s well documented the fitments that work on early ChevyII Novas. I defer to his experience of what he has been able to fit on factory clips with CBR front suspensions.. 7” wide wheels with 4.75 backspace
Great info! I'll look more into Batman's posts also.
Now if only I could post a pick of my car that wasn't sideways....

·
Registered
79 Posts

Delete pic
This should work no problem GFY, I have 4.5bs all around with wider tires on the front and rear than you're wanting to run and no rubbing at all whatsoever on 18" wheels.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I got my new wheels and tires on finally. Ill post some pics tonight when I get home. But they are 17x7 4 5/8 backspace (the best they could do). 215/45 up front and 225/45 out back. No rubbing at all so far but I haven't drove it a whole lot yet.
I do have one weird issue, when I put the front wheels and tires on, the tires were touching the bump stop. As soon as I set the car down, I had room (more room once it settled) but seemed weird that it touched when the car was jacked up. Im guessing it might be an alignment thing.

321 - 340 of 377 Posts