Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 377 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've started this section to make it easier for those that have questions about wheel and tire fitment and what others have used/done. Please post ONLY 1st generation examples of wheel/tire fitment data along with whatever other suspension modifications or not that you have that may affect other members final numbers. Data should include wheel backspace, width of wheel, tire size, etc. Also, please include any pictures you may find that would be helpful. Explanations are great but, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Please keep any questions about setups in the main wheel and tire section. I'd like to keep the banter to a minimum and just host data and pictures to make it easier to navigate the thread. If you have a specific question about someones setup you see here I encourage you to PM them any pertinent questions you may have.

Thank You!

John

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
I've started this section to make it easier for those that have questions about wheel and tire fitment and what others have used/done. Please post ONLY 1st generation examples of wheel/tire fitment data along with whatever other suspension modifications or not that you have that may affect other members final numbers. Data should include wheel backspace, width of wheel, tire size, etc. Also, please include any pictures you may find that would be helpful. Explanations are great but, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Thank You!

John
different front disc options will move wheels out "X" amount depending on manufacturer. rear discs will move wheels out too... all of which effects backspacing. :yes:

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
different front disc options will move wheels out "X" amount depending on manufacturer. rear discs will move wheels out too... all of which effects backspacing. :yes:
Excellent point! Please include these pieces of vital data in your posts if possible so that whoever is looking for this info has all the pertinent data to make the correct decision.

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front Fender Rub on 18's

We are finishing up a 63 post car and have some 17's front and back but have run into a rather unique problem with the fronts. We measured properly and have enough room from the fender and any obstructions up top to turn the wheels hard over both left and right without any rub. However, the wheels are too far FORWARD in the wheel wells and the front of the wheel wells are actually cutting into the treads. We are taking it to have the alignment done, but does anyone know if that will move the wheels back in the wells any? We are using 2'' drop spindles and DSE tubular arms, but don't see how things have pushed the wheels forward into the front lip on the fenders. Thanks for the help if anyone has run into this before. I am hoping that the combination of the alignment and extending the bars that hold the front lip of the fender will buy us enough room to get her on the road.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
63 long roof wheel fitment advise

I would like to start dressing up the new 63 Long roof with new rims and tires. Even though my plans have the suspension changing over time, I would like to buy the wheels and tires just once and work on the suspension changes over time. What wheel fitment should I go with given the following:

63 long roof, in line six. Eventually want to go with a LS, but thats at least a year or more away.

5 lug 65' rearend and 65' spindles,with factory drums. Will be getting a CPP mini-sub frame kit later this winter. Next year, plans are to add a Church boys rack.

For the immediate future, I want to drop the factory stance by 1 to 2 inches, all via the springs.

I am debating 15" or 17". My biggest concern for the immediate future is dropping the ride height.

Any recommondations?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ok so Ineed help figuring out what is the widest and size tire/tallest wheel i can fit on my 63 nova ss(for the rear). It has a 67 camaro 10 bolt 3.08 gear rear end. does anyone know the length of that? I was looking into the stock measurements on a thread and then remembered i dont have a nova rear end so i dont know what the widest is for my application is,does anyone have any clue?? or has anyone slapped on some decent size wheels and tires on their 1 gen nova with a 67 camaro rear end?any info would help!

·
Registered
362 Posts
1964 SS. Factory suspension rebuilt and dropped by a coil trim. It has a TCI stock spindle disc brake kit that didn't widen the front at all. Rear has one inch blocks. The wheels are Billet Specialties "Mag". The fronts are 17x7 and the rears are 18x7. The front and rear both have 4.75 Backspace. Tires are Nitto 555 and the fronts are 205/40ZR17 and the rears are 225/45ZR18. The car is really low, as low as I would ever go on a stock susension car and the tires rub NOWHERE ever. Not turning, not on bumps, not pulling in parking lots.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Hopefully this will help some of you too.

Ok. I've been looking to replace the wheels that came with my Nova for a while now. Finally getting serious. I'm an old school type, and to me the Weld Drag Lites I have are fine for a drag car, but don't do anything for nice driver.

I want to change to something like American Racing TT Originals.

I've read all the threads on rim size, backspace, etc. but I guess I should have been born in Missouri. So I measured what I have. I know they fit. From that, I've found, so should everyone else. :yes:

Here's what I got.

From this I have, 15 x 7, 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern, 4.25 backspace. The rear clearances are pretty good, Fender 5/8"-3/4" driver side and 3/8"-1/2" pass side. Tire to spring 1 1/4" driver side, almost 1 1/2" pass side.

So I go to Weld Racings site to see what I have. Or at least see if they are off-the-shelf or special order. I really can't imagine the guy I got the car from would buy special order wheels if he could get stock sizes.

Well, Welds stock sizes come 3.5 4.5 and 5.5 backspace. So the question is, do you trust the specs. (I have e-mailed Weld to get a clarification, but haven't gotten a return message yet.

So now, I can't get standard size American TT Originals with in the size I need. Budget and all. However, I searched high and low, finally found something that may work and come off-the-shelf, reasonable price. Rocket R23-576142.

Anybody have them? Good, bad, ugly. Any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I did # 286-105-5661 American Torq D's 15 X 6 in front (w/ factory suspension)....

http://www.jegs.com/i/American+Racing/286/105-5661/10002/-1

And #286-105-5761 15 X 7 in the rear on my '64 SS with no issues.....

http://www.jegs.com/i/American+Racing/286/309-5761/10002/-1
Yo doggie. How ja been.

What size tires T. I have brand new, well, less than 500 miles, 195-65R 15s front and 225-60R 15s rear. My fronts rubbed, front bottom corner of fender when I first put them on. Put a rubber in the spring to limit travel while turning hard and haven't had an issue since. I think that front size would push the tire out a 1/4" further on me. Might have the same problem again. I think the rears would be a problem. My 4 1/4 backspace has 5/8 clearance on one side, those 3 3/4 backspace rears would give me an 1/8" on that side. Cutting it close.

Thanks for the info though.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,882 Posts
I dig the Rockets Kev, they look wicked ! :yes:

·
Registered
347 Posts

1963 with 5-lug conversion (rear end from a '66). Front disc brake conversion from Matt's Classic Bowtie standard height spindles. Original springs (as far as I can tell).

Slightly lowered all the way around due to 50-ish years of gravity.

Wheels:
Wheel Vintiques 13 Series Smoothies 15"
Rear: 15x7 w/ 4.75" backspacing
Front: 15x6 w/ 4.25" backspacing

Tires:
Rear: 205/60 15
Front: 195/55 15

NO RUBBING.

·
Registered
111 Posts
front tire rub

Hey 63 badger,:yes: you should have strut rods comming from your front frame to the lower "A" arm, you can adj. the placement of your front wheel in the wheel well with the Adj. arm on the strut, one on each side.. Hope this helps ya!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
What is the stock wheel size?

What are the stock 5 lug rims for a 64? I know they are 14 inch.. I found some on craigslist and wanted to know if they take the same tires as the stock chevy rims and more importantly if my hubcaps will fit.

He lists the tire size as 205-75-R14

And the bolt pattern he lists as 5 x 4.75

Are these like the stock ones?

-Tom

1 - 20 of 377 Posts