Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to pull the turn signal contacts out of the connector to attach new wires to them..? My wires are broken off at the connector and can't seem to find a way to release the spring loaded contact pins in order to install new wire. I've redone other types of automotive connectors in the past so I figure there must be a way to remove them.

Thanks in advance..

·
6,523 Posts
I doubt GM ever injected molded the plastic housing around terminated wire ends.

I've had to extract ends out of plenty of radio harness adaptors and some come out easy, some do not.

I have seen some older connectors with a tab that springs out to lock into a shelf or protrusion inside the housing to be dug into the housing to where I have to push the wire and connector into the housing like it would be when it gets installed and then use a dental pick or release tool to get the tab to bend back out of the way and allow extraction.

If you cannot find new terminal ends, I have very carefully sometimes been able to open up the wire insulation crimp as well as the wire crimp to where a new wire can then be put in and crimped back down again but sometimes if this second time crimping is questionable as to how well it will hold I will then also solder the wire to the connector at the crimp area being careful not to apply too much solder and then not have the connector fit it's mating connector.

Jim

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are what I have.. It looks like there's a collar on the wire feed end. Just don't see how to release it without carnage..

Attachments

·
6,523 Posts
These are what I have.. It looks like there's a collar on the wire feed end. Just don't see how to release it without carnage..
Now that helps as I was thinking the connector was on the column for some reason :turn: .

Below is a connector from a 55 Chevy I worked on and it looks like maybe the end that would hit against the nipple on the bulb bottom comes out of the spring loaded tube ?

Jim

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a new set I did not use from my AAW wiring kit. Send me a pm with your address and I will send them to you. Just paying it forward. Hope this helps you move one step closer to completion.

Dave

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a new set I did not use from my AAW wiring kit. Send me a pm with your address and I will send them to you. Just paying it forward. Hope this helps you move one step closer to completion.

Dave
That's an awesome offer thank you..! I figured out how to get the wire ends out of the connector and the ends look like a barbed crimp connector. I think I can make this work.. If not I'll be in touch.. And again Thank you..!

Joe

·
Registered
140 Posts
Joe,
I have the çonnectors, the four barbed fittings and the rubber boots that cover the connectors. All new. I will also have include a copy of the wiring diagram and crimp, solder and shrink wrap the leads on the fittings since I have the crimpers if that would help.

Let me know,

Dave

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow man, you're blowing me away.. This is a pretty tremendous offer.. How can I not accept..?

Let me get at it in the next couple of days and if I run into a snag I'll take you up on your offer..

Many thanks,
Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts