Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, long time reader first time poster here... I have a 63 ht that i am building usuing tci 4 link rear, frame connectors, front suspension and dse mini tubs. Before i started this project last fall i did my research, i have heard of issues when installing a 4 link or similar setup and not supporting the car correctly. I lifted the car by the rear axle, leveled everything and then supported the car by the rear shackle area, front "torque boxs" by the front spring mounts, and by the front subframe. THEN I lower the rear axle and removed it, this way the car is supported and weighted like it always had been with leaf springs. It stayed like that the entire time i worked on it, nothing moved, no signs of any issues. I did the dse tubs first. While the frame was open i added 10 steel to the inside of the rail in the tub area. I also added at 10 guage plate to the entire front portion of the frame. The only section I didnt reinforce is from the rear of the wheel well to the bumper/ shackle area. I bolted in the tci suspension, frame connectors, and fitted 295s and all looked good..... until i lifted the car by the rear axle and supported it by the rear axle as if it was sitting on the ground... then i noticed the dimples or small dents by the front of the wheel well, then i lightly touched the lower quarter panel farther forward and the whole thing popped in ..... made me sick..... If I lift it by the rear bumper area everything pops back out on its own.. question is,, what do i do now?? is this because i didn't reinforce the rear section of the rail from the tub back?? Did I do something wrong.. I called TCI and they said the mini tub weakens it and I may have to shrink the quarter panel?? Problem is the car is painted...

Should I support it by the rear and add plate the rear section of rail?? Add a rear roll cage or something?? Starting to feel like I ruined a good car and wish I would have kept leaf springs and be done with it.

Id post some pictures but I haven't figured out how to do that yet...
ok, pictures added in my profile...

Thanks, Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shane 65, Thanks for the reply, its hard to belive that lack of support in the rear will cause the front of the quarter to buckle. Did you have to put a lot of tension on the struts? Suprised the wheel well didnt pull or anything. That may be one of my best options although I may try plating the rear half of the frame first and see what that does. It would sure be nice to know what area is flexing for sure and just fix that... but why would it be that easy... lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im glad Im not alone in this but its a bummer to see so many nice cars with this problem

It will a bit before try any fixes, im kind of leaning twards Shanes idea combined with some better frame reinforcing. My dimples will actually transfer further forward into the form of a dent in front of the wheel, it looks like someone kicked the quarter panel.... lift it by the rear bumper and everything goes back to normal. Hopefully one of us on here can confirm a sure fix.

I think reinforcing the inside of the quarter panel with anything will just transfer the dimple or dent somewhere else.

I have no choice but to find a fix or deal with it as is, I don't think ill ever be able to match the paint on mine with out repainting the whole car....

Keep the ideas coming!
Al

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So I finally got the time to take a shot at getting rid of the dimples/buckles/ large dents on my quarters. So heres a breif write up. Car is mini tubbed with tci 4 link. I decided to go with Shane65's method and make 2 adjustable struts for inside the trunk to pull up on the frame at the rear. The worked perfect and the rear end of the car is solid even with my big ass sitting in the trunk. I made 2 brackets that were mounted through the trunk floor and welded to the frame.

Trunk side

Frame side before welding

For the upper mount I made 2 "towers" the mounted to the top area of the wheel well and anchored to the rear C pillar bracing/ boxes. This seemed as if it would be the best structurally and would keep both sides symmetrical. The wheel well/ tub is not taking all the load this way either. Looking back on it I wish it would have made something cleaner looking, but I guess know one is really going to see it anyway.

Right side

Left side

I then made 2 struts with heim joints at either end. both are the same length, cant remember how long they were though. I installed them, supported the car by the rear of the frame rails, and adjusted the bars up snug plus an extra half turn or so. Then lowers the car back onto jack stands under the rear axle. It is unbelievable how solid the rear feels now. And best of all.... no more dimples, dents, buckles, or anything. Both quarters are straight (they are orignial to the car also). I hope this helps some of you out. Im curious as to what the experts think, i am by no means a fabricator/ builder or anything like that.

Heres a few finished pics.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.