Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well thanks to you people here i have most of my questions awnsered, i am going to buy the harness that is made for hei and the harness made for a internaly regulated alternator, but i have 1 more question, on the wiring diagram in this forum, it shows a wire that goes to the starter and it comes out of the firewall somwhere around the wiper motor and has a gromet around the hole and this wire is routed it looks like by itself, i cant locate this wire and i dont know where it starts from, is it the ignition or?, all i saw from the diagram is it comes from the dash but i have no idea where it comes from, any help is greatly appreciated, ill post some pics of my progress tomorrow, thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
There are 3 wires that go to the starter in a stock setup:

- big red positive battery cable
- purple 'start' wire (S terminal)
- black w/red stripe coil boost wire (I terminal)

Big red one is self explanatory

Purple wire goes from start lug on ignition switch to starter solenoid. Has +12V when key is at 'start' position (while cranking) only.

Black/red goes from the starter to the coil. The coil is normally fed less than 12V to reduce the wear on the points. This is accomplished by a ballast resistor, or by the stock wire in the wiring harness, which isn't just a wire, it's special resistance wire that acts as a ballast resistor. When you are actively cranking the car, this wire supplies a full 12V to the coil to make a hotter spark while starting.

Since you're using an HEI, you should not need the coil boost wire. You should also not have a ballast resistor or resistor wire. You'll end up with only two wires to the starter, the battery cable, and the 'start' wire.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good stuff it is just what I needed to know. I tested my purple "start" wire from the fire wall and I dont get any dc coming out. On/start/crank, nothing. But my black w/red stripe one tested fine at 12v start/cranking. Do you think I need a new ign. switch? Also will I be able to use the black w/red stripe wire for my HEI?

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Lake 64est Park said:
Good stuff it is just what I needed to know. I tested my purple "start" wire from the fire wall and I dont get any dc coming out. On/start/crank, nothing. But my black w/red stripe one tested fine at 12v start/cranking. Do you think I need a new ign. switch? Also will I be able to use the black w/red stripe wire for my HEI?

Thanks
Dave
Have you checked your neutral safety switch? That switch, if present, will keep the car from starting if the trans is in anything but park/neutral by interrupting the current to the purple wire that runs to the starter.

You could try testing the purple wire before it enters the neutral safety switch and if you still don't have power, it could very well be the ignition switch that's the problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ill have to check my diagram for my 64 to see where it is. Thanks, just need to get this figured out so I can bring her back to life after 2+ years:beer:

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts